If you’re looking for a healthy and flavorful alternative to traditional tortilla chips, then you need to try Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips. These crispy chips are made with fresh sweet potatoes and a blend of spices, making them the perfect snack for any occasion.
In this article, we’ll take you through the steps to make your own Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips, as well as some tips and tricks to make them perfect every time.
How to Make Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips
- Mandolin or sharp knife
- Baking sheet
- Small mixing bowl
- Pizza cutter or knife
- Parchment paper or silicone mat to prevent sticking (Optional)
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- Preheat your oven to 375°F(190°C).
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice them thinly using a mandolin or a sharp knife. Aim for about 1/8 inch thickness.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, and salt.
- Brush the sweet potato slices with the oil mixture on both sides.
- Cut the tortillas into triangles using a pizza cutter or a knife.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices and tortilla triangles in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chips are crispy and golden brown. Check on them frequently and rotate the pan if needed to ensure even baking.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Make sure to slice the sweet potatoes and tortillas as evenly as possible to ensure they cook evenly.
- You can adjust the seasoning to your taste, adding more or less salt, chili powder, or other spices as desired.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet when baking the chips. Leave enough space between each chip to ensure they crisp up properly.
- Keep an eye on the chips while they are baking to prevent burning. The cooking time may vary depending on your oven and the thickness of the chips.
- The chips may become soft over time if left in the open air, so store them in an airtight container to keep them crispy.
- If you don’t have a mandolin or a sharp knife, you can also use a vegetable peeler to slice the sweet potatoes into thin rounds.
- Sweet potatoes are rich in nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants, making this snack a healthier alternative to traditional tortilla chips.
Here are a few variations to try with your Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips:
- Add some shredded cheese on top of the sweet potato rounds before baking for a cheesy twist.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, or your favorite dip.
- Use different spices or seasonings to change up the flavor.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to make sure your Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips come out perfectly every time:
- Use a mandoline or sharp knife to slice the sweet potatoes into thin rounds for even cooking.
- Coat the sweet potato rounds with the spice mixture for maximum flavor.
- Spread the tortilla triangles out evenly on the baking sheet for crispy chips.
- Watch the chips carefully while they’re baking to avoid burning.
- Experiment with different seasonings and dips to find your favorite combination.
Can I use other types of potatoes?
You can use other types of potatoes, but the texture and taste may differ. Sweet potatoes have a natural sweetness and crispiness that make them perfect for this recipe.
Do I have to use corn tortillas?
No, you can use other types of tortillas like flour tortillas or even pita bread. However, corn tortillas work well because they are thinner and crisp up nicely.
Can I use a mandolin to slice the tortillas?
It’s not recommended to use a mandolin to slice the tortillas because they are thicker than sweet potato slices and may break or crumble. A pizza cutter or a knife works best.
Can I use other spices or seasonings?
Absolutely! You can experiment with different spices and seasonings to suit your taste. Cumin, chili powder, or even cinnamon can add a delicious flavor to the chips.
How do I know when the chips are done?
The chips should be crispy and golden brown. Check on them frequently and rotate the pan if needed to ensure even baking.
Can I make these chips ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the chips ahead of time and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Can I use a dehydrator instead of an oven?
Yes, you can use a dehydrator to make sweet potato tortilla chips. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for temperature and time.
How do I prevent the chips from sticking to the baking sheet?
Make sure to brush the baking sheet with oil before arranging the chips. You can also use parchment paper or a silicone mat to prevent sticking.
Can I fry the chips instead of baking them?
Yes, you can fry the chips in hot oil until crispy and golden brown. However, baking them is a healthier option.
How do I store leftover sweet potato tortilla chips?
Store the leftover chips in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them for up to 2 months.
Final Thought On Making Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips
Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips are a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional tortilla chips. With a crispy texture and a flavorful blend of spices, these chips are perfect for snacking or serving as an appetizer at your next party. Follow our simple recipe and tips to make your own Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips today!