Last updated on April 26th, 2023 at 12:32 pm
Brownies are a classic dessert loved by people of all ages. But have you ever tried marshmallow brownies?
These delicious treats take the traditional brownie recipe to a new level by adding fluffy marshmallows.
- Medium saucepan
- A whisk
- A mixing bowl
- An 8-inch square baking dish
- Parchment paper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the granulated sugar and light brown sugar and stir until well combined. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the saucepan and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the saucepan and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and sprinkle the mini marshmallows evenly over the top of the brownies.
- Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the marshmallows are lightly browned and puffy.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let the brownies cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- It’s important to let the brownies cool for at least 10-15 minutes before cutting them, as the marshmallows will be hot and sticky right out of the oven.
- If you don’t have parchment paper, you can grease the baking dish with cooking spray or butter instead.
- For a variation on this recipe, you could try adding chocolate chips or nuts to the batter before baking.
- Make sure to use a medium-sized saucepan to melt the butter and chocolate to prevent it from burning.
- If the marshmallows start to brown too quickly in the oven, you can cover the baking dish with foil for the remainder of the baking time.
- These brownies are best served warm, but you can also store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
If you want to mix things up and try something different, here are a few variations to consider:
- Add chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, to the batter before baking for an added crunch.
- Drizzle melted chocolate or caramel on the marshmallows for a decadent finishing touch.
- Use flavored marshmallows, such as strawberry or peppermint, to add a layer of sweetness to the brownies.
Can I use regular-sized marshmallows instead of mini marshmallows?
Yes, you can use regular-sized marshmallows instead of mini marshmallows. Remember that they may take longer to melt and brown in the oven.
Can I substitute the unsalted butter with salted butter?
You can substitute unsalted butter with salted butter, but you may want to reduce the added salt in the recipe to compensate.
Can I use a different type of sugar, such as coconut sugar or honey?
You can try using a different type of sugar, but remember that it may affect the texture and flavor of the brownies.
Can I use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour. Just make sure to use gluten-free baking powder.
How do I know when the brownies are done baking?
The brownies are done baking when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
Can I freeze these brownies?
Yes, you can freeze these brownies and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before freezing.
Can I add nuts or other mix-ins to the brownies?
You can add nuts or other mix-ins to the brownies and fold them into the batter before baking.
How do I prevent the marshmallows from sticking to the knife when slicing the brownies?
To prevent the marshmallows from sticking to the knife, you can grease them with cooking spray or oil before slicing them.
Can I use a different size baking dish?
Yes, you can use a different size baking dish, but the baking time may need to be adjusted.
Can I make these brownies ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these brownies ahead of time and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Final Thought On Making Marshmallow Brownies
Marshmallow brownies perfectly combine fudgy chocolate goodness and fluffy marshmallow sweetness.
This easy and delicious recipe is ideal for a family dessert or a sweet treat for any occasion.
Try out the recipe and let the aroma of chocolate and marshmallows fill your home.
Indulge in the perfect sweet treat with these irresistible marshmallow brownies.