Last updated on September 27th, 2022 at 11:19 am
As a coffee lover, it’s no doubt that coffee goes well with every mood or occasion for you. And if you’re looking for a perfect way to quench your thirst on a warm afternoon, a mug of iced coffee makes for an ideal treat.
While most coffee drinkers kick off their day with a freshly brewed hot cup of coffee, there are compelling reasons to go for the iced counterpart.
Research indicates that coffee may have astounding health benefits, like preventing type 2 diabetes, lowering the risk of some cancers, and fighting several inflammatory diseases.
This is made possible by its active bioactive components that increase insulin secretion, improve insulin sensitivity and lower fasting glucose levels.
In addition, other compounds like chlorogenic acids have strong antioxidant properties that beat inflammation.
But how can you prepare this delicious yet healthy treat? This guide shows you exactly how to make iced coffee at home and provides incredible tips to bring out the barista!
What Do You Need to Make Iced Coffee at home?
Like most people, you probably had your first cup of iced coffee at a coffee shop. But did you know that you don’t need unique ingredients for homemade iced coffee?
This is all you need;
- A large glass
- Hot fresh coffee
- Sugar or liquid sweetener such as simple syrup
- Warm water
- Ice cubes (The more, the better! Remember, it’s an iced drink)
- Optional Coffee stirrer or shaker
- Optional Flavoring or milk (You can also consider non-dairy options like soy or almond milk)
Step By Step Guide to Making Iced Coffee at home
Making homemade iced coffee is a pretty straightforward process, and as a coffee lover, your only regret will be that you did not know how to prepare this cold flavorful drink sooner.
Once you have the ingredients mentioned above, follow these four primary steps:
Step 1 – Brew Your Coffee Like You Normally Do
Brew your coffee the usual way and let it sit until it gets to room temperature or colder.
Iced coffee should not be made directly from hot coffee as it quickly gets watery and loses its flavor (Essentially, you will be drinking weak, lukewarm coffee if you use hot coffee).
For the best results, pour your freshly brewed coffee into a heat-safe pitcher and put it in a refrigerator overnight to chill.
Step 2 – Mix Your Brew With Ice
Once your freshly brewed coffee is calm and ready to pour, take your glass and fill it with ice cubes (Ensure that at least ⅓ of the glass is ice so you can have a suitably chilled drink).
Next, add your coffee over the ice and allow it to mix appropriately by stirring it.
If you opt to use a shaker, add a few ice cubes and as much coffee as possible to fit into the shaker without spilling. Go ahead and shake the mixture until it’s icy before pouring it into a serving glass.
Step 3 – Add Your Flavoring or Milk
You can choose to add your favorite flavoring, milk, or toppings in desired measures to suit your preferences.
Step 4 – Sweeten and Enjoy Your Homemade Iced Coffee
Finally, you can sweeten your drink with sugar or liquid sweeteners, which are the best choice as they dissolve better in cold drinks than sugar.
Now you have a delightful cup of homemade iced coffee and can enjoy your favorite brew, regardless of how hot it is outside.
What type of coffee should I use?
When choosing the type of coffee to use, it all boils down to personal preference. For example, do you prefer intensely smoky flavors highlighted by the sweet, bitter, fruity flavor or a subtle-tasting coffee with light smoky-sweet notes?
Maybe you are a coffee connoisseur and appreciate the intricate process of roasting and then grounding coffee beans before brewing a hot cuppa.
Perhaps you want something you can whip up in seconds to give you that shot of caffeine to get you up and moving.
Whatever your poison, knowing the type of coffee that best suit your needs is a great place to start
Espresso vs. Coffee
If you love your coffee highlighted by violently strong, bitter notes, an expresso will be your best bet. On the contrary, regular coffee has mellowed coffee flavors and doesn’t feature bitter tastes, making it easy to drink.
Additionally, the pour-over method used to prepare regular coffee doesn’t require special skills. You only need hot water and ground coffee beans. In comparison, brewing an espresso requires an espresso machine and special skills. For example;
- Choosing the right coffee blend
- Ensuring the coffee beans are ground finely and consistently
- Deciding on the correct dose to set in the filter
- Applying pressure to sufficiently compress the pad of coffee
Beans vs. Ground vs. Instant
- Beans: Whole beans come packed with intense, delicious flavors. When you buy whole bean coffee, you can grind the beans to the consistency of your choice. If you love a steaming cup of the French press, coarsely grind your beans. Finely ground your beans to whip up an espresso if you cherish a delicious sensory experience to chase your morning blues away.
- Ground coffee: Though coffee connoisseurs will note a dip in quality with ground coffee, its benefits make it worth your while. For one, brewing a mean cup of coffee with ground beans is convenient, easy, and hard to mess up. Additionally, the proliferation of ground coffee has led to the emergence of exciting roasts, flavors, and blends for fans to choose from.
- Instant coffee: Try instant coffee if you want something quick to make. The drink is made from dry coffee extract and has less flavor and caffeine, but it still boasts all the health benefits of regular coffee.
Tips to Help You Pick the Best Type of Coffee to Use
It is important to note that with a wide variety of coffee choices, getting the best pick for your iced coffee can get overwhelming. The following tips will help narrow your choices;
Coffee acidity gives your drink the tingly, slightly sparkling feeling that hangs on the tongue after a sip.
The acidity is activated during brewing and can be hard to detect in cold brews and some types of iced coffees. If you want your iced coffee to have a lingering spiky taste, you should go for high-acidity coffees from Africa and Central America.
Consider Indonesian coffees if you prefer a more subtle taste or want coffee for cold brews.
Coffees with a solid dominant base note of nut, spice, chocolate, molasses, or caramel are ideal for iced coffees. This is because they create a pleasant, full-flavored, decadent taste that is dominant in a cold drink.
You may have to try different types and flavors of coffee on your iced coffee cups to find which makes your taste buds go gaga. Unfortunately, the coffee’s aroma deteriorates immediately after serving the drink. However, the taste remains much longer in the cup.
There are four types of coffee roasts: light, medium, medium-dark, and dark.
While the type of the coffee bean matters, the roasting process gives it the aroma and flavor. How long or intensely the beans are roasted also affects the coffee’s acidity and the intensity of its taste.
You can make a cup of iced coffee from coffee roasted in any way.
However, for iced coffees with a sweet, chocolatey, or creamy flavor, go with a medium roast of Costa Rican, Honduran, or Guatemalan coffee. For a tea-like iced coffee with a fruity taste, go with a light roast African Ethiopian or Kenyan coffee.
The Different Methods of Making Iced Coffee
Here are simple ways to make the five most popular types of iced coffee at home.
Instant Iced Coffee
Time: Instant to 1 minute.
Ingredients: Instant coffee, chilled milk, water, sweetener (sugar), and ice cubes.
Requirements: High-speed blender.
- Add all the ingredients in desired quantities to the blender.
- Start the blender at a low speed, gradually increasing the speed until all the ingredients are blended. It should take about 30 seconds.
- You can add grated chocolate, caramel, whipped cream, syrup, or vanilla extract for added flavor.
- Put the ice cubes in the serving glass.
- Pour the iced coffee into the glass with ice cubes.
You can keep an instant iced coffee drink in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Time: 2 minutes.
Ingredients: 2 or 3 shots of espresso, ice cubes, two tablespoons of heavy cream, and sweetener.
- Prepare your shots of espresso on the espresso machine. Remember that fresh espresso from quality coffee makes the tastiest iced coffee.
- Put the ice cubes in a tall serving glass. You can use as many ice cubes as you desire.
- Pour the espresso over the glass of ice.
- You can drink the espresso as-is. However, depending on your preference, add the sugar and heavy cream to make it less bitter. You can also add a splash of cold milk to reduce the bitterness.
Time: 2 to 3 minutes.
Ingredients: Single or double espresso, ½ cup of condensed milk, ½ cup of half-and-half cream, coffee syrup (optional), and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional), or a dusting of cinnamon (optional).
- Combine the espresso shots with milk in a medium bowl until consistently mixed.
- Whisk in half-and-half cream with coffee syrup, vanilla extract, or cinnamon until well blended.
- Blend the mixture at high speeds to froth up the drink.
- Put ice in a tall serving glass.
- Pour the mixture into the serving glass.
Time: 5 minutes.
Ingredients: Double espresso shots, two teaspoons of sugar, ¾ cup whole milk, ice cubes, and honey or coffee syrup.
- Mix the double shots of espresso with sugar until it is completely dissolved.
- Put ice cubes in a serving glass.
- Fill the glass with the sweetened espresso and stir.
- Pour the mixture over the milk until it is saturated.
Creamy Iced Coffee
Time: 3 minutes
Ingredients: Single or double espresso, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of half-and-half, ice cubes, two teaspoons sugar, one teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the espresso, half-and-half, and milk in a pitcher until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Put the ice cubes in a serving glass.
- Pour the creamy mixture into the serving glass.
Popular Iced Coffee Recipes to Try at Home
Here are simple-to-follow steps to spin your favorite famous iced coffee at home.
McDonald’s Iced Coffee Recipe
A refreshing mug of McDonald’s iced coffee will give you the boost you need for the day, and you can customize one at home.
How to Make McDonald’s Iced Coffee
For Iced Coffee:
- ½ cup of simple or flavored syrup
- 2/3 cup of whole milk and cream mixture
- 2 cups of brewed coffee
- For the Syrup:
- A cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- Add water and sugar to a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Stir well until the sugar dissolves.
- After 10 minutes, when the mixture thickens, remove from fire and leave to cool.
- Transfer the syrup into a glass bottle, and store it in the refrigerator.
- Use double Arabica coffee grounds to brew coffee.
- Fill a pitcher with ice.
- Pour brewed coffee into the pitcher.
- Add the syrup, whole milk, and cream to the pitcher and stir.
- Fill two 16-ounce glasses with ice and pour in the coffee mixture.
Get a straw and enjoy your McDonald’s iced coffee with your favorite treats. For a rich flavor, brew your coffee a night earlier.
What iced coffee does McDonald’s use?
McDonald’s uses a premium medium blend of 100% Arabica beans. Arabica is known for its consistent and smooth flavor.
In addition, it is less acidic than its Robusta counterpart and has moderate caffeine content, making it versatile and more drinkable.
How many calories are in a McDonald’s iced coffee?
Every small McDonald’s cup of iced coffee contains 120 calories. A small cup of McDonald’s iced coffee with whole milk contains 140 calories, while a medium cup of McCafe has 180 calories.
Does McDonald’s use sugar to make iced coffee?
McDonald’s uses sugar syrup, cream and caramel, hazelnut, and vanilla flavor to sweeten their iced coffee. The syrup is made with half parts of water and half a portion of sugar. Every medium cup contains 28 grams of sugar.
Starbucks Iced Coffee Recipe
Starbucks offers a variety of delicious iced coffee on its menu, which you can replicate in your kitchen.
How to Make Starbucks Iced Coffee
- 1 lb of coffee
- 1 cup of sugar
- 8 cups of water
- For each cup of Costa iced coffee:
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- ½ cup of coffee concentrate
- ½ cups water
- Two tbsp of a mixture of whole milk and cream
- Two tbsp of syrup
- Pour 8 cups of water into a pitcher, add one pound of ground coffee, and stir.
- Cover and let it sit for 24 hours.
- Filter the brew into a different pitcher and refrigerate the coffee for 8 hours to create a potent concentrate.
- Make a simple syrup by adding equal parts of sugar and water in a pot. Bring to a simmer while stirring until all the sugar dissolves. When the mixture thickens, allow it to cool and store in the refrigerator.
- To make a cup of Starbucks iced coffee, fill a cup with ice cubes.
- Pour in half a cup of water and half a cup of coffee concentrate. Add two tablespoons of syrup and two tablespoons of whole milk and cream and stir.
You can add syrup and a mixture of whole milk and cream to your cup of iced coffee until the desired sweetness is achieved.
What iced coffee does Starbucks use?
Starbucks uses Terraza Blend, Kenya, Veranda Blend, and Starbucks VIA Instant coffee for their signature iced coffee.
Terraza Blend is a pre-ground medium roast coffee usually used for traditional Starbucks iced coffee. Starbucks Kenya is also a medium roast coffee best served cold due to its well-balanced and defined acidic flavor. The Veranda Blend is a South American variety with light-bodied, lightly roasted nuts with traces of cocoa.
How many calories are in a Starbucks iced coffee?
Starbucks offers a variety of iced coffee with under 100 calories and 20 grams of sugar for a 350-ml glass serving. The traditional Starbucks iced coffee contains 60 calories. Unsweetened iced coffee has less than five calories and zero sugar.
Does Starbucks iced coffee use sugar?
Starbucks has sweetened and unsweetened iced coffee on its shelves. While the unsweetened variety contains 0 grams of sugar, sweetened iced coffee can hold 10 to 20 grams of sugar.
To sweeten iced coffee, Starbucks uses syrup made from sugar.
Dunkin’ Donuts Iced Coffee Recipe
Dunkin’ Donuts has brewed excellent iced coffee for decades. They use the double brewing process to give each cup a rich flavor and freshness, and you can enjoy the same delicious treat at home with a Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee recipe.
How to Make Dunkin’ Donuts Iced Coffee
- ¾ cup of blended coffee
- ½ cup of whole milk and cream mixture
- 1/3 of sugar
- 3 cups of divided cold water
- Ice cubes
- Brew the coffee using 1 ½ cups of cold water using a coffee maker.
- Pour in the hot brewed coffee, whole milk and cream mixture, and sugar. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Cover the pitcher and leave the coffee to chill.
- Fill your coffee mug with ice cubes, pour over the coffee and enjoy your treat.
Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee is the perfect drink for summer. You can replace the whole milk with almond or coconut milk, and if you like your coffee sweeter, you only need to add more sugar.
What iced coffee does Dunkin’ Donuts use?
Dunkin’ Donuts uses high-quality double-brewed 100% Arabica beans. Through double brewing, Dunkin’ Donuts ensures every cup of iced coffee maintains a rich flavor and freshness when served over ice.
How many calories are in a Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee?
Dunkin’ Donuts offers iced coffee as one of Dunkin’s low-calorie treats. Every serving contains about 90 calories. A cup of iced coffee containing skim milk and no sugar contains 80 calories. If you decide to add a sugar-free flavor, you get an additional 20 calories.
Does Dunkin’ Donuts Iced Coffee Use Sugar?
Dunkin’ Donuts uses syrup, granulated sugar, or liquid sugar to sweeten its iced coffee. Each serving of Dunkin’ iced coffee with syrup contains 19 grams of sugar. When granulated sugar is used, each serving contains 23 grams of sugar. They also sweeten their iced coffee with liquid sugar, which results in 7 grams of sugar per serving. You can also choose to go for Dunkin’ Donuts unsweetened iced coffee.
Costa Iced Coffee Recipe
Costa iced coffee is the perfect drink for a lift on summer days, and you can make the refreshing drink at home with brewed coffee, sugar, ice, milk, and the flavorings of your choice.
How to Make Costa Iced Coffee
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- One tablespoon of instant coffee
- 1 cup of milk
- Pour the water and milk into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sugar, vanilla extract, and instant coffee to the mixture and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Allow the coffee to cool and pour it over a cup with ice cubes.
This simple recipe can start your day with a delicious Costa iced coffee. You can add a splash of flavoring of your choice to make your drink stand out.
What iced coffee does Costa use?
Costa iced coffee is a famous beverage made with a blend of Arabica and Robusta beans. The mixture comprises Robusta and delicate Arabica beans, slow-roasted for at least 20 minutes.
The blend makes a tall glass of Costa iced coffee with a defined flavor, smooth taste, and a rich aroma.
How many calories are in a Costa iced coffee?
Their medium- 378ml cup iced latte contains 190 calories. They also have a small 220-ml cup of Costa iced latte which contains 141 calories.
Costa is committed to giving coffee drinkers healthy iced coffee treats. Since 2015, Costa has supported Public Health England’s (PHE) 20% by 2020 and 2021 sugar reduction program in food and milk-based drinks. As a result, they have achieved a 20% sugar reduction in their drinks through reformulation and using sugar-free syrups and sweeteners.
Does Costa iced coffee use sugar?
Costa iced coffee contains no added sugar. Instead, Costa encourages customers to sweeten their coffee with healthier alternatives to granulated sugar, such as sugar-free stevia.
Delicious Cheat Day Iced Coffee Recipe Ideas to Try at Home
Want to make new and mouth-watering iced coffee at home? Here are some recipe ideas:
Turtle Iced Coffee
Turtle iced coffee bursts with flavors and is convenient and quick to make. It contains 57 calories which are also impressive.
- Instant coffee
- Fat-free creamer
- Thawed frozen whipped topping
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate syrup
- Chopped pecans
- Prepare your instant coffee.
- Add sweetener and creamer to the coffee and stir.
- Pour a little caramel sauce and chocolate syrup into a tall coffee glass and add ice.
- Pour the coffee mixture over the ice.
- Add caramel sauce, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and nuts.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
You can use a fancy glass or mug to serve turtle-iced coffee and add a straw to make the treat stand out.
Hazelnut Iced Coffee
Hazelnut iced coffee is the perfect drink to add flavor to your basic cup of coffee. The ingredients and the steps for making a refreshing mug of hazelnut iced coffee are also simple.
- ¼ cup of whole milk
- 1 cup of chilled coffee
- Ice cubes
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- One tablespoon of hazelnut syrup
- Pour the chilled coffee into a glass.
- Add the sugar and hazelnut syrup to the coffee and stir well.
- Add ice cubes to the coffee and pour a quarter cup of milk.
- Your flavorful hazelnut iced coffee is ready to drink.
If you are vegan, you can use alternatives to whole milk. The treat is versatile, and you can take it any time of the day.
Vanilla Cinnamon Iced Coffee
Once you try the vanilla cinnamon iced coffee recipe, you will want to take it daily. However, you don’t need complicated ingredients or equipment to make the drink. Read on for the recipe.
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ of hot strong brewed coffee
- 1 ½ cup of milk
- Two tablespoons of sugar
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pour milk into a mug, add cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar, and stir.
- Heat the milk in a microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour coffee into a cup and add the milk and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add ice cubes to your coffee mug and pour the coffee over the ice.
Add more cold milk to your iced coffee, chocolate syrup, and shavings. If you prefer your ice crushed, blend the ice cubes until smooth. You can also prepare coffee cubes in the ice cube tray overnight.
Chocolate Iced Coffee
Chocolate iced coffee is an excellent choice of flavor, and it has never been easier to prepare a tall glass of delicious drink at home.
- Two tablespoons of sugar
- 1 cup of ground coffee
- 3 ½ cups of water
- 2 cups of whole milk and cream mixture
- ¾ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ cup of chocolate syrup
- Add coffee and water to a pot and bring to boil.
- Allow the coffee to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher and add cinnamon and sugar.
- Stir the coffee until the sugar dissolves completely, then add the whole milk and cream mixture and chocolate syrup.
- Stir well and chill for two hours.
- Add ice to a coffee mug and pour over the coffee.
To prevent the coffee from diluting and preserve its richness, make coffee cubes overnight and use them in the place of ice.
Nutella Iced Coffee
Nutella iced coffee will quickly win your heart. Here is how to make it.
- ½ cup of milk
- One tablespoon of instant espresso coffee
- ½ cup of boiling water
- A tablespoon of Nutella
- Fill a tall glass or coffee mug with ice and add milk.
- Mix the boiling water and instant coffee in a separate cup, and add the Nutella. Stir until everything dissolves.
- Pour the Nutella and coffee mixture into the tall glass with ice and milk.
- Your Nutella iced coffee is ready to serve.
If you prefer frothy Nutella iced coffee, make it using the blender.
Oatmeal Cookie Iced Coffee
If you love cookies, there is an easy way to infuse them into your iced coffee drink. Here is a fantastic oatmeal cookie iced coffee recipe.
- Two tablespoons of brown sugar
- ¾ cup of hot brewed coffee
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- One tablespoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup of oat milk
- Pour the brewed coffee into a mug, add vanilla and sugar, and stir to dissolve completely.
- Add the ice cubes to a tall jug or cup.
- Pour the coffee over the ice, add oat milk and sprinkle the cinnamon.
- To combine, stir with a spoon, and your drink is ready to serve.
If you are concerned about the calories, you can use coconut sugar or stevia. The best part about the treatment is you will not notice the oat flavor.
Coconut Spiced Iced Coffee Cocktail
Coconut spiced coffee cocktail is a unique beverage that you will love and is also easy to prepare.
- Ice cubes
- 7 cups of water
- 1 cup of ground coffee
- 60 ml of coconut spiced rum for each serving
- Sweetener or creamer
- Add water and ground coffee into a pitcher, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Strain the coffee into another pitcher
- Pour the mixture into a tall glass filled with ice cubes leaving enough room for rum and the sweetener.
- Add 60 ml of rum to each serving and your preferred sweetener, and stir well to combine.
- Your coconut-spiced iced coffee cocktail is ready to serve.
For a flavorful cocktail, use coffee cubes instead of ice cubes. You can work with any creamer you prefer.
Healthy Iced Coffee Recipes to Try at Home
Iced coffee is versatile and offers many possibilities of spinning a healthy tall glass to lift your day. Iced coffee recipes like iced vanilla, Thai iced coffee protein shake, keto iced coffee, and no sugar vanilla iced latte are some of the exciting and healthy recipes you can try in your kitchen.
Iced Vanilla Coffee Recipe
With this iced vanilla coffee recipe, you will make a delicious treat with only 30 calories.
- 1 ½ cups of ice
- Two teaspoons of all-natural and zero calories sweetener
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of brewed strong coffee
- ¾ cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Add vanilla extract and sweetener to your brewed coffee when still hot.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add ice to a tall glass.
- Pour coffee over ice in the tall glass and add almond milk.
- Your drink is ready to serve.
The low-calorie drink integrates natural and low-sugar ingredients that are cost-effective and healthy.
Thai Iced Coffee Protein Shake
Change your morning coffee routine with the Thai iced coffee protein shake that combines a healthy breakfast and coffee boost for the day. Here is a recipe to set you up for a healthy and productive day.
- 1 cup of cold brewed coffee
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- One tablespoon of ground cardamom
- ¼ cup of chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of almond extract
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- If the shake is too thick, add more almond milk, water, or coffee and continue blending until desired consistency is achieved. If too thin, add ice cubes and blend.
- Once you have the desired consistency, your drink is ready to serve.
Instead of brewed coffee, you can work with instant espresso powder; it works equally well.
Keto Iced Coffee
Keto iced coffee is easy to spin, and it tastes incredible. With these steps, you can make low sugar and carb brew daily.
- Ice cubes or crushed ice
- Black coffee
- Heavy cream or milk
- Sugar-free maple syrup
- Add all the ingredients to a pitcher or large bottle.
- Mix well to combine and refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Fill tall glasses with ice and pour the coffee over the ice.
- Serve immediately.
While the recipe will make delicious keto iced coffee, you can add flavors to make your drink stand out.
No Sugar Vanilla Iced Latte
Once you try the no-sugar vanilla iced latte, you will not look back. The vanilla flavor complements the drink, a delicious option if you are sensitive about the carbs in your diet.
- 30 grams of Arabica
- ½ cup of whole milk and cream mixture
- Fruit extract sweetener
- One tablespoon of natural vanilla extract
- Brew the coffee and allow it to cool.
- Add the vanilla extract, whole milk, and cream mixture to the coffee and stir well.
- Add the fruit sweetener and store it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and mix using a hand blender to create froth.
- Fill a tall glass with ice cubes and pour over the mixture.
- Your no-sugar vanilla iced latte is ready to drink.
Nespresso Iced Coffee Recipes
Here are the best and the most intense Nespresso iced coffee recipes to experiment with at home.
Iced cappuccino is a classic worth introducing to your taste buds. Here is how to make a magnificent glass of the drink.
- ½ cup of cold full-fat milk
- 4 grams of sugar
- Two 30-grams Nespresso ice cubes
- 1 Nespresso Arpeggio capsule
- One teaspoon of chocolate shavings
- One pinch of cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon of nutmeg powder
- ½ tablespoon cocoa
- Combine cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar in a class.
- Add the Arpeggio capsule to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a milk frother and add the full-fat milk.
- Froth the mixture and pour the mixture over the Nespresso ice cubes in a glass.
- Sprinkle the chocolate shavings over the coffee.
You will enjoy the frothy texture of your iced cappuccino and the silky aftertaste it leaves.
Nespresso Vertuo On Ice Macchiato
To make Nespresso Vertuo, you need only three ingredients.
- 1 Melozio capsule
- Six ice cubes
- 30 ml of cream
- Add the cream to a coffee mug.
- Add the ice cubes to the cup.
- Pour the Melozio capsule on top.
In a few minutes, your Macchiato will be ready to drink.
Vertuo Salted Caramel Iced Latte
Vertuo Salted Caramel Iced Latte is a significant iced coffee variation if you enjoy caramel latte. Here is how to make a tall tasty glass.
- 10 ml Monin salted caramel syrup
- 120 grams Ice cubes
- 80 ml Milk
- Add the ice cubes to a tall glass.
- Pour in the salted caramel syrup.
- Add Double Espresso Chiaro extract on top.
- Add the cold milk on top and stir well to combine.
You can enjoy the milky Vertuo Salted Caramel Iced Latte caramel-flavored delicious coffee anywhere and anytime.
Decaf Iced Coffee Recipes
While decaf iced coffee tastes like regular iced coffee, it lacks the caffeine kick, which is why some coffee drinkers go for it. You can make your decaf cold brew and decal vanilla Macchiato iced coffee at home with simple-to-follow steps.
Decaf Cold Brew
This recipe makes the perfect drink for any time of the day, and you only need two ingredients, cold water and decaf coffee beans.
- 1 liter of cold water
- 100 grams of decaf coffee beans
- Grind your coffee beans until you achieve a coarse texture.
- In a pitcher, combine water and the ground beans.
- Stir for about two minutes and cover.
- Allow it to sit for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, strain the mixture into a storage vessel.
- Your decaf is ready to drink.
You can sweeten your coffee by adding natural sweeteners or sugar. You can also add milk and ground spices for additional flavor.
Decaf Vanilla Macchiato
This Vanilla Macchiato recipe will give you a tasteful and aromatic tall glass of decaf.
- 100 ml of fresh milk
- 20 ml of vanilla syrup
- Vivalto Lungo Decaffeinato capsule
- Pour the vanilla syrup into a glass.
- Pour the Vivalto Lungo Decaffeinato extract in a separate mug.
- Add half of the coffee extract into the glass with vanilla syrup.
- Froth the milk and pour half of it into the glass.
- Add the remaining half of the coffee into the glass, and top with the remaining foam.
- Your Decaf Vanilla Macchiato is ready to serve.
Top 7 Tips When Making Iced Coffee at Home
Below are tips to help you make rich, smooth, and tasty iced coffee at home to help you save some bucks.
Prepare the Cold Brew Yourself
You’ll need coarsely ground coffee for cold steeping. Using a coffee grinder, grind the coffee beans on the coarsest setting or French Press.
Take coarse coffee grounds and dump them into a jar filled with water. Cover the jar with a lid and let it steep in the cold water for 12-24 hours. After that, you can add water or milk to the cold brew.
Use Instant Coffee
The instant coffee powder comes in handy when you don’t have time to make your cold brew in advance. All you need is hot water, milk or cream, and your favorite sweetener to make a cup of instant coffee.
Freeze the Coffee
Fill an ice cube tray with brewed coffee. Leave the tray overnight for the cubes to freeze. Allow the frozen cubes to melt at room temperature, and have your iced coffee. Then, add the frozen cubes to a cup of hot coffee.
Jazz up the Ice Cubes
Freezing water into ice cubes and adding it to your iced coffee often dilutes the taste.
Instead, freeze milk or honey. Then, add these gourmet ice cubes into your cup of iced coffee for a richer taste.
Use a Cocktail Shaker
Pour hot coffee over some ice cubes in your regular cocktail shaker. Shake it for a few minutes. Once you filter out the cubes, you’ll be left with cold coffee that’s not watery.
Serve with Seltzer
If you are an Espresso lover, you can make a homemade spritzer. First, fill a glass with chilled ice, pour a cup of espresso over the ice, and then fill to the brim with water.
Refrigerate Your Beans
Whether you prefer iced or hot coffee, storing coffee beans in the fridge helps to retain their fresh roast flavor. In addition, research reveals refrigerated coffee produces a more even grind and better taste than room-temperature grinds.
Exciting Facts About Iced Coffee You Might Find Interesting?
Here are some interesting facts about coffee you probably didn’t know.
Where was iced coffee invented?
The first iced coffee traces its roots to Mazagran, a town located along the shoreline of Algeria. While in captivity in the city, the French soldiers prepared coffee with cold water. This cold coffee beverage took up Mazagran, signifying where it was first conceived.
Why is iced coffee more expensive than a regular hot brew in coffee shops?
The materials used by vendors to make and serve iced coffee don’t come cheap. These include coffee beans, ice cubes, straws, napkins, and paper cups with lids.
Moreover, the brewing method of iced coffee differs from that of hot coffee. As a result, it almost takes longer to make. These factors make it slightly more time-consuming and expensive.
Why is iced coffee better than hot coffee?
Iced coffee is 67% less acidic than hot coffee. It is important to note that less acidity is healthier for your teeth and stomach. Highly acidic foods cause discoloration, cracks, and even sensitivity for the teeth.
Most Common Questions About Making Iced Coffee at Home
Can I just put ice in the coffee?
Yes. However, before adding your ice cubes to the drink, you must ensure the coffee is chilled or at room temperature.
How much ice do you need when making iced coffee?
The general rule is that your ice cubes should consist of ⅓ total liquid volume. So, for example, if you’d like to prepare 18 ounces of iced coffee, then your ice cubes should cover 6 ounces and 12 ounces of water.
Cold Brew vs. Iced Coffee: What’s the Difference?
The difference between these two treats is in their preparation method. Iced coffee is regularly brewed coffee served over ice, while a cold brew is prepared by steeping coarse-ground coffee in cold water for more than twelve hours.
Can you put hot coffee on ice?
No. If you are looking to prepare a great treat of iced coffee, then adding hot coffee on ice will not achieve that. The coffee should be at room temperature or chilled, so it does not melt the ice.
How to cool down coffee fast for iced coffee?
Preparing your coffee in advance and refrigerating it is the fastest way to cool it when preparing iced coffee. Experts argue that you can refrigerate coffee for up to 4 days.
How to make iced coffee without melting ice?
You can make iced coffee without melting ice by preparing cold brew coffee or using frozen coffee cubes.
What type of ice is best for iced coffee?
Full cubes are an excellent choice for making iced coffee. They won’t water down quickly compared to half and nugget cubes.
Can you store leftover iced coffee in the fridge?
It is possible to store leftover iced coffee in the fridge for up to 4 days. However, the taste quality may not be as great as when taking the treat immediately after brewing.
Does iced coffee go bad?
Yes. Just like any other edible, iced coffee has a time limit on how long it can remain safe/okay for consumption. You can easily tell that your preserved iced coffee has expired when it starts to lose its aroma, has reduced flavor, or has an increased acidic taste.
Can you make iced coffee with instant coffee?
You can use instant coffee to make iced coffee as well. All you need will be a ⅓ cup creamer, a teaspoon or two of instant coffee, ⅔ cup of cold water, and ice cubes.
Why does coffee strength matter with iced coffee?
Stronger coffee is preferred because it helps to prevent the ice from watering down the coffee taste – commonly referred to as double brewing.
Does iced coffee have the same caffeine content as regular coffee?
The difference in caffeine levels between iced coffee and regular coffee is minimal. However, regular coffee will have a slightly higher caffeine content since high temperatures help to extract more caffeine.
Can iced coffee keep you awake?
Iced coffee can keep you awake longer, but the degree to which it affects your sleep quality is quite dismal. But, again, it also depends on your caffeine tolerance.
Is drinking iced coffee healthy?
Iced coffee has health benefits. Ice coffee may increase your metabolism and may reduce the chances of getting a heart attack, among other health benefits.
Can drinking iced coffee help you lose weight?
Iced coffee may help boost metabolism. This results in a higher number of calories lost at rest.
Can iced coffee be bad for you?
The components in the ingredients used to make iced coffee could be harmful to your health if not regulated. Research conducted by the World Cancer Research Fund International shows that a cup of iced coffee contains between 200-500 calories which is quite a high intake for a single meal.
Can drinking iced coffee make you fat?
Hardly. But again, it all depends on the level of added sugars used, which would then affect the calories contained in your drink. However, iced coffee is known to increase the metabolism rate, which can help lower body fat.
Can iced coffee stain your teeth?
Iced coffee is more likely to stain your teeth compared to hot coffee. However, using a straw for drinking your coffee lowers the risk of getting stained teeth.
Can iced coffee make you poop?
It turns out iced coffee also can make you poop. According to experts, it contains compounds such as caffeine and chlorogenic acids that stimulate bowel movement.
What is the best-iced coffee for non-coffee drinkers?
There are many options for non-coffee drinkers who still want to enjoy a perfect iced coffee treat. They include cafe latte, cappuccino, nitro coffee, frappe, mocha, and many others.
Can you make iced coffee with a Dolce Gusto?
Yes. The Nescafe Dolce Gusto machines are designed to perfectly work with preparing hot and iced coffee brews alike.
Yes. A straightforward way is to pour brewed coffee into an ice cube tray and freeze it. Later, pour the coffee ice cubes into a cup and let them melt into cold coffee.
Can you make iced coffee without a mixer?
Yes. Add coffee, sugar, chilled milk, and ice cubes into a cocktail shaker. Shake the mixture for about 5 minutes, and you’re good to go.
Is iced coffee a year-round beverage?
An independent survey revealed that 56% of coffee drinkers would drink iced coffee even on cold winter days.
Is iced coffee tastier than hot coffee?
With reduced acidity, iced coffee is more flavorful than hot coffee. However, those undertones of fruit, nuts, and chocolate linger on your tongue.
Typically, cold brewed coffee can be stored for up to two weeks when stored in the refrigerator. Since it has a richer and less acidic taste, it can hold its flavor for longer than hot coffee that has been cooled.
Final Thoughts on making iced coffee at home
Nothing beats being able to prepare your favorite treat right from your kitchen. You chose exactly what to use and how the iced coffee turns out. And even more importantly, it saves you so much time rushing to the coffee shop and money!
We hope that this guide helps bring out the best in you when making iced coffee at home.