Last updated on September 27th, 2022 at 11:38 am
There is no doubt that Turkey meat is one of the most popular servings during feasts. According to research, people consumed about 5.3 billion pounds of Turkey meat in 2019 in the US alone.
But why is this?
Turkey is packed with nutrients and is considered a healthier alternative to red meat.
Most people associate turkey with being stuffed, whole-roasted, and served during Thanksgiving.
While this remains true, and such a classic way to make turkey, there are dozens of healthy turkey breast turkey recipes you can try outside of the festive period.
Here are some:
1. Herb-roasted turkey breast with garlic
This recipe uses breasts with the bone-in and skin-on. These are known as split breasts and are affordable and flavorful.
Learn how to make this easy meal from this recipe, plus a tip on how to defat your turkey breasts.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, thyme, and/or sage, plus additional whole sprigs, or 1 teaspoon dried herbs (Optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 (3 1/2-4 pound) bone-in turkey breast half
- 1 cup water, plus more as needed
2. 20-minute low-carb turkey and peppers
This recipe is gluten-free, Paleo, low carb, and whole 30 making it ideal for everyone.
You will need turkey cutlets or fillets. If these are hard to find, get turkey tenderloin and slice it into fillets. Once done, you will have a lovely plate of turkey with lots of color and flavor from the peppers.
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound turkey tenderloin, cut into thin steaks about ¼-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- Chopped fresh parsley and basil for garnish (optional)
3. Roasted turkey breast
Turkey can get tricky, and there is a fine line between a moist turkey and a dried-out one.
This recipe uses seasoned boneless skin-on turkey breasts and bakes them for a short time under a high temperature. The result is an amazingly juicy, crispy-skinned turkey.
Roasting the breast on its own gives you a hand up as you get more control. This is often missing when roasting a whole bird because the white meat almost always turns out drier than the red meat.
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 boneless skin-on turkey breast half (about 2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
4. Roasted turkey breast with herbs
This is turkey breast cooked in a mixture of herbs to give a truly homely taste. You will need to loosen the skin gently to get this flavourful marinade between the meat’s skin and flesh.
You might have to buy the entire breast. Then, depending on size, you can have your turkey portioned at the butchery. What you don’t use will freeze pretty well.
- Cooking spray
- 3 1/2-pound turkey breast half with skin, thawed if frozen
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin preferred)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red hot-pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
5. Rolled turkey breast with herby lemon & pine nut stuffing
The rolled Turkey breast with herby lemon and pine nut stuffing is one for the festivities.It is easy to make and serve. The meal also comes with a creamy gravy that’s to die for.
- butter , for greasing
- 20 rashers pancetta (2 x 70g/2oz packs) or thinly sliced streaky bacon
- 1043kg butterflied turkey breast (see know-how below)
- For the stuffing
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions , halved and sliced
- 140g pack pancetta cubes or bacon lardons
- 50g pine nut
- 4 garlic cloves , chopped
- 25g pack sage , leaves only, roughly chopped
- zest 2 lemons
- 2 x 20g/1oz packs flat-leaf parsley , roughly chopped
- 100g coarse white breadcrumb
- 1 egg , beaten
- For the gravy
- 300ml dry white wine
- 300ml chicken stock
- 142ml pot double cream
- handful flat-leaf parsley , roughly chopped
6. Oven-roasted maple turkey breast
This oven-roasted breast is marinated in lemon juice, garlic, mixed herbs, and maple syrup.
This is the perfect go-to when you would rather not cook a whole turkey for thanksgiving. Even better? You can preheat your oven and bake this turkey or air fry it. We do love options!
You know your turkey breasts are properly cooked when the juice is clear when pierced.
- 1 Boneless turkey breast (2-4 lbs) halved, skin removed
- For the marinade
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup or honey
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Freshly ground black pepper
7. Easy roast turkey breast
This is a deliciously moist and tender turkey breast smothered in rosemary and garlic butter, then roasted to that mouth-watering golden brown hue.
This is an easy addition to thanksgiving or other dinners, and it goes down well with numerous sides. Feel free to experiment with some paprika, garlic powder, and dried thyme for additional flavors.
- 1.2 kg turkey breast
- 1 onions cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots quartered
- 20 g butter melted
- 1 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tablespoon chicken seasoning
- 5 g fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 3 sprig rosemary left whole
- 125 ml vegetable stock
8. Herb-roasted turkey breast
You only need 1 hour and 25 minutes to execute this recipe from start to finish. This recipe will show you how to make the simple yet yummy marinade for this turkey recipe.
The ingredients are simple, and you will most likely have them in your pantry, which is a bonus.
Roast until the juices clear, and pierce through the turkey with a fork. Also, the thickest part of the turkey should register 170 degrees on a thermometer.
- Deselect All
- 1 (6 pound) bone-in turkey breast, halved, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
9. Roasted turkey breast with garlic and herbs
This recipe is ideal for making the juiciest thanksgiving and dinner party turkey.
Here, you loosen the turkey’s skin to spread some butter underneath before baking. If you follow our recipe precisely, you will wonder what all that fuss about dry turkey is about.
Feel free to marinate the turkey in the morning, then bake it after work.
- 6 lb bone in turkey breast I use a half breast
- 5 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary leaves finely minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves finely minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- rosemary sprigs for garnish optional
- cooking spray
10. Marinated turkey breast
Turkey being lean means you risk ending up with a flaky, dry, drab chunk of meat on your plate. Well, there are no chances of that happening with this recipe.
A good marinade is sometimes all it takes to give turkey flavor and juiciness. This recipe teaches you how to do just that. We also use balsamic vinegar in the marinade to help tenderize breast turkey.
- 4 oz. turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
11. Roast turkey breast
Now, this decadent bone-in turkey recipe might not be your everyday go-to meal. And that’s okay, we all need something exquisite for those special days.
Forget an olive oil marinade and a crockpot: this turkey breast is oven roasted with lemon, butter, and wine.
This juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside turkey will be everything your plate needs.
- 1 3 pound bone-in turkey breast , with skin on
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 head of garlic sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 cup white wine
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- kosher salt and pepper
12. Beet stuffed turkey breast
This recipe combines different ingredients to form an awesome, hearty meal.
Here, the turkey breast is stuffed with a herbed beetroot filling. This has dill, cilantro, mustard, and garlic. It is then roasted in a mixed herb and raspberry vinaigrette before being broiled to get the best of both worlds. You are saved from the hassle of carving with this recipe.
- 1 beet (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tsp. capers
- olive oil (to taste)
- 1 tsp. mustard
- fresh dill (to taste)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (chopped)
- 1 turkey breast (to be filled)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- ground mustard (to taste)
- 3 chives (chopped)
- raspberry vinaigrette (to taste)
13. Super easy stir-fried cabbage
This is your five-ingredient, 15-minute quick, and easy fiber boost.
This cabbage recipe is healthy, easy to make, and can be a meal on its own or a side to most of your favorite dishes.
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lb. shredded cabbage
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Chinese cooking wine
14. Turkey breast with pineapple
Butter, wine, pineapple, and mustard are some ingredients in this recipe. This list of ingredients alone lets you know you are in for a burst of flavor.
Your plate will have some turkey, a rich pineapple sauce, and pineapple slices. This tropical-themed turkey pairs pretty well with rice. Chop some broccoli to serve with the meal as well. Veggies are always great for additional nutrition.
- 1 whole turkey breast (with about 1200 kg)
- 60 grams butter
- 1.5 dL pineapple juice (fresh)
- 2 dL port wine
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- 2.5 dL cream
- 1/2 pineapple
15. Peking turkey breast with Pomegranate molasses
The Peking turkey breast with pomegranate bakes while being basted with cooking juices and marinade to ensure it soaks up and retains as much flavor as possible.
The pomegranate adds a unique level of flavor to the meal. You get it all; sweet, tangy, and savory.
- 3 Tbsp. pomegranate molasses
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 250 grams turkey breast
- 250 grams basmati rice (cooked and hot)
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 pomegranate
- mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
16. Moroccan turkey breast
This is turkey rubbed with spices and then cooked on a bed of tomatoes, garbanzo beans, carrots, onion, and ginger.
Place the turkey breast on a platter with some veggies and a sauce to serve.
You should know it’s cooked when the thickest part of the breast yields a clear liquid when pierced with a fork.
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 Shady Brook Farms® Fresh Bone-In Turkey Breast (about 4 pounds)
- 16 oz. garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 white onion (sliced)
- 3 carrots (medium, peeled and sliced)
- 1 Tbsp. ginger (minced or grated)
- chopped cilantro
19. Leftover turkey soup recipe
It will be hard to have some leftovers from these recipes, but when it does happen, this soup will be the perfect way to handle your leftovers.
This soup is flavored with onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, a tablespoon of garlic, and parsley. It’s quick, awesome, and filling.
You can eat your soup on its own or have it with a bun or potato mash. Either way, it will be delicious.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion or 2 shallots
- 1 carrot, large
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 sprigs thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1.5 litre/6 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 75g/1/2 cup giant/pearl couscous
- 250g/2 cups cooked turkey or chicken
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
20. Marinated turkey breast
The idea of this recipe is to roast the turkey over low heat, with some liquid on the roasting pan. Doing so helps keep the turkey breasts juicy, tender, and flavorful.
For better flavor penetration, marinate the turkey 24 hours before cooking. Learn all the steps to follow and how to make this fantastic marinade here.
Remember to pat your turkey dry before cooking to enhance crispiness.
- 1 turkey breast (bone-in or boneless, skin-on, about 2 – 2 1/2 lbs)
- 3 rosemary twigs for garnish
- For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 8 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 rosemary twigs whole
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
21. Turkey meatballs
Many people shy away from turkey meatballs because turkey can give very dry meatballs.
However, the meatballs you make from this recipe will be the opposite. So much so that you might start leaning towards turkey meatballs over other types.
As you will see, some minced onion and chicken broth go a long way in preventing your meatballs from drying out. Read all about that here.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 cup onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley minced; plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs seasoned
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Gravy ingredients
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water cold
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
22. Healthy ground turkey teriyaki rice bowl
This ground turkey recipe makes for the perfect family meal. What we have here is a delicious turkey recipe with an Asian twist. It’s sweet, savory, and a great way to sneak lots of veggies into your diet.
A ground turkey teriyaki rice bowl can be paired with noodles or rice or eaten in a lettuce wrap.
Feel free to customize the recipes by playing with the spices and using veggies your family loves.
Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for 4-5 days or six months when frozen.
- 1/2 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or less as desired
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or less as desired
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Ground Turkey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 2 large carrots peeled and grated
- 2 green onions diced, for garnish
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice divided
23. Healthy turkey roll-ups with cranberry and pecan
This recipe is exactly what it sounds like: roll-ups with cranberry and pecan. They are sweet, creamy, crunchy, and salty. These are packed with protein and are super easy to make.
These make for the perfect work or school lunch and can even be substituted for a quick lunch on lazy weekends. You can also make these ahead of time or assemble, cover the turkey and refrigerate to grab and go through the week.
Read this recipe here, as well as some tips on picking the best turkey slices for this recipe.
- 4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tablespoon dried cranberries (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon green onions (sliced)
- 2 tablespoon toasted pecans (chopped)
- ¼ lbs. turkey breast slices
24. Juicy air fryer turkey burgers
If the air fryer bug has hit, here is a healthy recipe to try out for flavorful, juicy turkey burgers with a short cooking time.
There is also a secret ingredient to add to your ground turkey to keep the burger moist.
- 1 lb ground turkey 85/15
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ onion grated
- 1 Tablespoon ranch seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
25. Turkey Noodle Casserole
The Turkey Noodle Casserole can be prepared in 30 minutes and gives you a perfect recipe for turkey leftovers. The noodles, butter, cheese, thyme, and milk in this recipe already tell you it will be excellent comfort food.
- 8 ounces egg noodles (or 6 cups noodles) cooked in chicken stock, reserve one cup cooking liquid before draining
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk I used skim
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoons dried sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked turkey
- 2 cups shredded cheddar divided
Turkey Recipe FAQs
Is turkey all-white meat?
Since turkeys are flightless and walk a lot, their leg meat is dark, while their wing and breast meat are white. So turkey can be classified as a little bit of both. However, these recipes use breasts which are white meat.
Can turkey breast come out tender and juicy?
Yes, they can. Some recipes above include special marinades and cooking instructions to ensure your turkey breasts come out tender, juicy, and bursting with rich flavors.
How long should turkey meat be marinated?
Marinating turkey excessively in an acidic solid marinade can make it dry and stringy. Having said that, you can marinate your turkey for up to two days in the refrigerator.
What do I serve with turkey?
The options are endless, and there is no right or wrong. Serve turkey as you would other meats. That means you can have turkey with carbs, a salad, a sandwich, and so on. It all depends on how you have prepared the turkey.
Are turkey breasts healthy?
Turkey breasts are white meat and are therefore considered healthier than red meat. Turkey is even healthier when cooked in an air fryer with no added oil or butter.
How do you ensure breasts come off crispy outside?
If you want the outside to be extra crispy, pat dry the turkey before roasting or baking.
Turkey is often considered hard to cook as the results can be disappointing if not cooked well. However, this is rarely the case when you follow good recipes keenly.
These recipes provide clear instructions to ensure your turkey turns out moist, juicy, and tasty every time.
Other healthy recipes you might enjoy;
- Healthy Recipes With Rice Noodles
- Healthy Meal Prep Ideas for Weight loss
- Healthy Ice Cream Cake Recipes