Last updated on September 13th, 2022 at 10:51 pm
- Meal prepping for weight loss makes eating good food easy and convenient.
- Here are 25 Meal prep ideas for weight loss that are fast and easy to make!
Let’s Begin on stating eating healthy food is not hard.
That is if you are served it on a plate. A lot of the time the reason why we eat bad food is out of convenience. And not having good food ready to go at a budget friendly price.
Not having healthy meals to hand is the problem.
The other problem is that healthy food is also the most expensive option in the grocery store.
Meal prepping is your best friend.
But, a lot of weight loss meal prep recipes are fairly bland and boring.
With those pain points in mind, I have put together this list of my favorite meal prep ideas to help you on your weight loss journey. I promise if you read on you are not going to find your standard variations of the classic sweet potato, broccoli chicken recipes.
Instead, I have taken the time to find you some great ideas and recipes to make on your next batch cook of meal prepping.
Let me know how you get on, and if you find a recipe that should be on the list, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
How To Make a Meal Plan for Weight Loss
Creating a successful meal plan doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Make proteins your staple in your morning meals.
- Avoid high-sugar and high-calorie foods.
- Ensure that your lunch contains lean protein, veggies, and whole grains.
- Avoid processed foods or excessive sugar.
Here are 25 healthy meal prep ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We’ve also included some amazing meal prep recipes for weight loss that vegetarians can enjoy.
Breakfast Meal Prep Recipes For Weight Loss
Peanut butter overnight oats sound like it is high and fat and bad for weight loss. But not true. Healthy fats are important for weight loss. In addition, peanuts are a source of protein. Oats offer fiber and low-gi slow-releasing carbohydrates. This particular recipe uses gluten-free and is It’s gluten-free. The best part about it is that it only takes about 5 minutes of prep time.
It’s a perfect and healthy breakfast idea because it’s filled with whole grains, plant-based protein, and healthy fats. This combination helps you feel full for longer and boosts your metabolism.
Moreover, adding peanut butter to overnight oats makes them taste amazing. You can use natural peanut butter or flavored peanut butter like chunky Monkey. Either way, these oatmeal bowls can assist you in losing weight.
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 4 TBS maple syrup or honey
- 4 TBS peanut butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
Granola-berry parfait features whole grain granola, fresh berries, and creamy yogurt. This dish is high in fiber and protein, which helps keep you full. At the same time, yogurt provides essential nutrients like calcium and vitamin D.
Granola makes this meal incredibly filling and satisfying. This means you won’t be tempted to snack on unhealthy foods later in the day. With its low sugar content, eating granola-berry parfait for breakfast will help you lose weight and maintain your healthy lifestyle goals.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar-free maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 1 large strawberry
- 2 tbsp homemade granola
Apple cinnamon quinoa bites are a delicious and healthy way to start your day. They’re made with quinoa, apples, nutmeg, and cinnamon for a sweet and nutty flavor. Quinoa is a grain high in fiber and protein, which makes these bites filling and satisfying.
They also contain healthy fats like omega-3s and monounsaturated fats, which are great for your heart. What’s more, they’re a quick and easy way to get your recommended daily intake of fruits and vegetables.
So why not try apple cinnamon quinoa bites as your fast and easy breakfast meal? Like the easy vegetarian quinoa burrito bowls, you might be surprised by how delicious and helpful they can be in your weight loss journey.
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 cup oats uncooked
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
Make Ahead Omelet in a Jar is a quick and easy recipe you can prepare in advance. It features eggs, cheese, and vegetables, which makes it a healthy meal.
You can customize this omelet according to your taste preferences. For instance, you can choose between different types of cheese and add any veggies you like. This makes it a great option for people looking for a healthy and filling breakfast that they can prepare in advance.
- Chopped vegetables like onions, bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, fresh spinach
- Optional additions like cooked chopped bacon or diced ham
- Olive oil
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese, optional
Are your mornings crazy busy, or are breakfasts just an afterthought? This egg and avocado breakfast is a perfect solution for your meal prep. Avocados are a great source of healthy fats, protein, and fiber. They also contain vitamins and minerals like potassium and magnesium.
Eggs are a high-quality protein source that helps you feel satisfied. This healthy meal prep option also contains essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These nutrients help protect your body from disease and support your metabolism.
- 6 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 6 sliced whole wheat bread cut diagonally
Overnight oats are a great way to fuel your body and help you lose weight. They’re high in fiber, protein, and wholesome grains, which help keep you feeling fuller for longer. They also contain healthy fats like omega-3s and monounsaturated fats, which help improve your heart health.
You can make overnight oats in advance and store them in a container in the fridge as your weekly meal prep for weight loss. This makes them an ideal breakfast option for busy people who don’t have time to make breakfast on the go.
- Rolled Oats.
- Chia Seeds.
- Spices (Cinnamon, apple pie spice, and pumpkin pie spices)
- Flavors (vanilla extract or almond extract)
- Cacoa Powder.
- Nut Butter.
- Frozen or Fresh Fruit.
- Canned Pumpkin or Sweet Potato.
- Dried Fruit.
- Shredded Coconut.
If you’re following a keto diet, you probably know the success of tracking your macronutrients to avoid eating too many carbohydrates. This five days’ worth of food is a low-carbohydrate alternative to other kinds of oatmeal.
As opposed to oats, keto oatmeal consists of hemp hearts that ensure you have a hearty and filling breakfast. This keto oatmeal breakfast bowl features hemp hearts, chia seeds, flaxseed meals, and sweeteners like golden monk fruits.
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
- 2 tablespoon almond butter, warmed.
Delicious Lunch Ideas For Weight Loss Meal Prepping
For most people, egg rolls is not the first thing that comes to mind when considering healthy eating. That’s because they’re fried in oil before being wrapped in a carb-heavy shell.
While this food may not e everything you want, the ingredients in an egg are super healthy. It’s a great solution for anyone looking to cut calories. Plus, it offers a yummy flavor of egg rolls without giving you the taste of greasy, deep-fried rolls.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 bag pre-shredded coleslaw blend (9 oz- 5 cups of cabbage)
- 2 tsp shredded ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
A chicken burrito bowl contains about 34.8 grams of protein and 399 calories. They are a great option for lunch or sometimes dinner. Unlike chicken fajitas filled with chicken or beef filling, this recipe is packed with cauliflower rice, ground chicken, corn, black beans, tomatoes, and more.
These chicken burrito bowls can help you lose weight because they contain whole grain food nutrients and proteins. You’ll get all the nutrients your body needs, and it won’t be heavy on your stomach. Moreover, this dish is also filling, so you’ll be less likely to snack on unhealthy foods later.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.25-ounces) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo, homemade or store-bought
- FOR THE CHIPOTLE CREAM SAUCE
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
If you’re looking to cut calories and carbs but still love fish tacos, this fish taco bowl lunch meal prep recipe is what you need.
Fish tacos are high in protein and low in carbohydrates. They are packed with about 28 grams of protein and a calorie count of 293. They are a great option for a quick and healthy meal, and can you can still make them keto-friendly by avoiding tortilla chips and rice.
You can enjoy them on a Paleo, or Low carb diet plan for weight loss. Fish is a healthy source of protein that can help you maintain your muscle mass while trying to lose weight. This means that you’ll be less likely to get sick and more likely to stick with your healthy eating plan.
- 1.5 lb-2 2lb cod
- 1 Tbsp+ blackened seasoning
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 sm. head red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 sm. head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup+ cilantro lime dressing (homemade recipe or store-bought)
This Thai-inspired chopped chicken salad is a great way to enjoy a delicious and healthy meal without spending much time in the kitchen.
The ingredients in this dish are all high in proteins, vitamins, and minerals. The salad meal prep comprises cabbage, shredded chicken, fresh, crunchy veggies, chopped peanuts, and more. All of these are essential in your weight loss journey.
The salad is a great way to get your daily dose of antioxidants, which are important for weight loss. It’s gluten-free, Paleo and Whole30 compliant. Plus, it’s delicious and will quickly become one of your favorite lunch options.
For the Salad
- 1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 2 cups shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken or about 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions1/4 cup crushed peanuts for garnish
For the Peanut Dressing
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
The tuna in this dish consists of spicy mayo, cucumber, scallions, veggies, and fresh tuna served with brown rice. Tuna is low in carbs and high in protein, making it an ideal meal for anyone looking to lose weight.
The tuna in this bowl is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for your overall health and well-being. Since this dish is healthy and delicious, you’ll be able to enjoy it without feeling guilty about its calories or carbs.
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 (5 oz) cans of tuna drained
- 1 persian cucumber thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds
- 2 green scallions thinly sliced
- Spicy Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
Are you hungry but don’t want to wait for takeout? This meal prep for a healthy lunch is easy to make and can be eaten on the go, making it perfect for your weekly meal. You only need a few ingredients and a hot pan to make a stir-fry meal.
The meal is a great way to ensure you get all the nutrients your body needs while trying to lose weight.
Besides being high in protein, this dish contains snow peas, carrots, broccoli, and chicken lettuce wraps. These are all healthy vegetables that provide you with important vitamins and minerals. The cauliflower rice also in this recipe helps keep your blood sugar levels stable. It’s gluten-free, so it’s great for people trying to avoid gluten.
- 1 16-oz block firm tofu 450g
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce 30mL
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil 15mL
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil 15mL
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 cups chopped broccoli or veggie of choice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise 60g
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt 60g
- 2 to 4 Tbsp sriracha 30 to 60g
Tempeh Chili Meal Prep takes about 30 minutes of prep, and its ingredients are all high in protein. It contains 9 grams of carbs and 200 calories, making it a great option for people looking to lose weight.
The tempeh in this plant-based meal is a great source of protein with low calories and carbs. This is why Tempeh is known to be a hearty meat substitute that provides you with all the nutrients your body needs.
- 1 cup dry bulgur or quinoa
- 3 cups broccoli florets can sub green beans, asparagus, or your favorite veggie
Easy and Delicious Weight Loss Meal Prep Recipes For Dinner
Pan Fried Pork Chops is an easy meal you can prepare for your whole family. It’s a good dinner meal and is commonly served with rice, vegetables, and dipping sauce. Whatever you choose, ensure it’s high in fiber and nutrients to help you stay full after eating.
Pan-fried pork chops are a great option because they take less time to cook than other types of pork cuts. The chops are versatile and can be cooked in many different ways. Each chop is rich in proteins and healthy fats, which makes it a good choice for weight loss.
- 4 pork chops, boneless or bone-in, 1-inch (2.5cm) thick *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt**
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh parsley, minced – optional
A steak salad is a delicious and nutritious way to get your protein. A good steak salad will have plenty of greens, such as Romaine lettuce or spinach, as well as tender pieces of steak. Depending on your preference, add other ingredients, such as boiled eggs, olives, tomatoes, and crumbled blue cheese. This meal prep for the week contains about 64 grams of fat and 850 calories per plate. The salad is not only a powerhouse of proteins but also a great source of iron for the body.
- 1 ½ pound steak, sirloin, T-bone, strip loin about 1 inch thick
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces arugula , or other greens
- 1/2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 avocado , cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing
A roasted vegetable quinoa bowl is a healthy and easy dinner idea that can be prepped in advance. The bowl contains roasted vegetables, quinoa, and a healthy dressing. The ingredients are easy to pack and take with you on the go.
This meal contains healthy vegetables and toppings that are a rich source of fiber and nutrients. Quinoa provides a good source of magnesium, zinc, iron, and vitamin B6. The roasted vegetables provide plenty of vitamins and minerals such as potassium, folate, and vitamin C.
- 1 medium-size head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2-3 tablespoons high heat oil (I like this avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 medium-size sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 avocados for serving
- 1/2 cup tahini
- juice of 1-2 lemons*
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- salt & pepper, to taste
Greek chicken meal prep bowls are a great option for those looking for a healthy and easy dinner. The bowl contains Greek chicken, tzatziki sauce, cucumber salad, and other ingredients. The ingredients are simple to prepare and can be stored in the fridge for later.
Chicken is a good source of protein and healthy fats. The homemade yogurt tzatziki sauce is a creamy and tangy sauce full of healthy nutrients. The cucumber is healthy and clean and provides many minerals and vitamins.
- 1 lb Chicken breast (~3 cups after cooking)
- 1 1/2 tsp Sea salt (divided, plus more for brine)
- 3 tbsp Olive oil (divided into 1 tbsp and 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper (divided)
- 10 oz Zucchini (sliced into thin half moons, 1/4 inch thick, ~2.5 cups)
- 1/2 lb Grape tomatoes (halved, ~1 cup)
- 1/2 large Onion (cut into medium half moons, ~3/4 cup)
- 1/2 tbsp Dried dill
- 1/2 tbsp Dried parsley
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Feta cheese (crumbled, optional – only if not dairy free, paleo or whole30)
A healthy chicken salad brown rice bowl is a filling and delicious option for dinner or lunch. The bowl contains whole chicken, celery, avocado, arugula, and brown rice. The ingredients are high in fiber and nutrients to help with weight loss.
Avocado provides healthy fats and is a good source of potassium. The celery provides fiber and nutrients necessary for weight loss. Arugula is a high-quality source of antioxidants and minerals, while brown rice provides carbohydrates and other nutrients.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts diced
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 1 cup grapes
- 2 ribs celery
- 4 tbsp honey mustard (Bolthouse Farms)
- 4 tbsp toasted, slivered almonds (Fresh Gourmet)
- 1 tsp celery salt
Chipotle brown rice grain bowls are a healthy and easy meal prep option to prepare in advance. The meal prep contains brown rice, black beans, chicken breast, fresh cilantro, and salad. The ingredients are simple to prepare and combine to make a delicious bowl.
The black beans provide fiber and nutrients such as folate and magnesium. Brown rice is a good source of fiber and nutrients, including vitamin E. Chicken breast, provides protein and is a good source of healthy fats. The fresh cilantro gives the bowl a delicious flavor.
- Cilantro-Basil Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- For Chicken
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- For Bowl
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 cups shredded kale
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro basil dressing
Weight Loss Meal Prep Ideas For Vegetarians
Also known as shirataki, miracle noodles are long and white noodles that contain glucomannan (a type of starch). Glucomannan is very low in carbohydrates and calories, and the body doesn’t digest it.
Unlike zucchini noodles, you don’t need to cook miracle noodles. You only need to rinse, heat, and eat them. It’s a popular Japanese gluten-free cuisine and doesn’t contain wheat or eggs. Besides stretch, the noodles contain water, which makes them a great choice for weight loss.
- 2 packages Miracle Noodles (8-oz per package)
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled, deveined and thawed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots grated
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar optional
- 1 green onion sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
This meal prep idea for weight loss is a perfect way to combine your favorite healthy ingredients with delicious flavors. Ground beef and quinoa provide protein and fiber, while salsa and toppings add flavor.
Who says you must deprive yourself of your favorite meal prep to lose weight? Make these Mexican Ground Beef and Quinoa Taco Bowls your go-to meal, and you won’t have to worry about calories or carbs.
- 2 teaspoons
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 540mL can no salt-added black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups no salt added broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- Optional toppings:
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced green onions
- Lime juice
- Extra tomatoes
- Avocado or guacamole
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamins, and antioxidants.
Black beans are a powerhouse nutrient and provide protein, fiber, folate, iron, and potassium. Combined with sweet potato and wholesome toppings like avocado and salsa, these bowls are a great way to add healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals to your diet throughout the week.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup brown rice – cooked
- 2 cups black beans – or one can, drained and rinsed
- For the cilantro lime dressing:
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
Quick Meal Prep Ideas for Weight loss
If you are stuck on time, here are the quickest recipes to make.
- Protein shake: Choose a protein powder with high protein levels, such as whey or casein. Combine the shake with unsweetened almond milk and fruit for a nutritious and satisfying breakfast or snack.
- Veggie omelet: Like a chicken fajita meal prep, you can make this hearty dish with onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers on top of eggs. Top with shredded cheese or salsa for a delicious and healthy lunch or dinner.
- Quinoa bowl: This dish is high in fiber and protein, making it an excellent choice for weight loss. Quinoa is also a good source of calcium. Combine quinoa with vegetables, grilled chicken or fish, and a healthy dressing for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Bonus: Healthy Snack Ideas For Weight Loss
Meal prep snack boxes provide a healthy and satisfying snack option throughout the day.
Some healthy options full of flavor include fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, yogurts, and other healthy dairy products. Try to have at least one healthy snack daily to keep your energy levels up and your metabolism going.
Meal Prep Frequently Asked Questions
What does meal prep mean?
Meal prep involves preparing and planning healthy and tasty dishes or whole meals. It’s an important process that ensures you have homemade, delicious recipes for meal prep.
Is meal prepping good for weight loss?
Yes. In addition to being helpful to anyone, planning and preparing snacks and other meals in advance can help you stick to your diet. It can also help you control your calories as you have accounted for all of the food and calories you will be consuming for the day.
What are some of the best meal prep containers?
There are a variety of meal prep containers, including plastic, glass, metallic, and freezer- and microwave-safe containers.
Can you store your meal prep in the fridge?
Of course, the best way to prep meals is in a batch. A lot of people do this at the weekend. You can even freeze meals and take them out when needed. For the most part, storing cooked meals can last for about 3 to 4 days, while they can stay good for up to 4 months in a freezer.
More Healthy Recipes you may like to try;