Last updated on June 9th, 2023 at 12:18 am
Who says cupcakes can’t be both delicious and healthy? If you’re a fan of sprinkles and all things funfetti, you’ll love this recipe for healthy funfetti cupcakes.
Not only do these cupcakes taste amazing, but they’re also made with nutritious ingredients that won’t leave you feeling guilty after indulging in a sweet treat.
Healthy Funfetti Cupcakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350°F(175°C). Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the applesauce, honey, almond milk, vanilla extract, and egg whites.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until everything is well combined.
- Fold in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cupcake liner about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your healthy funfetti cupcakes!
- For a gluten-free version, use a gluten-free flour blend instead of whole wheat flour.
- If you don’t have almond flour, you can use all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour instead.
- If you prefer a sweeter cupcake, you can add a bit more honey or sugar to the batter.
- You can use any type of milk you prefer in this recipe, including cow’s milk, soy milk, or oat milk.
- Be sure not to overmix the batter, as this can make the cupcakes tough and dense.
- For a healthier frosting option, try using Greek yogurt mixed with honey and vanilla extract instead of traditional frosting.
- To make mini cupcakes instead of regular-sized cupcakes, adjust the baking time accordingly.
- These cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Don’t forget to add the rainbow sprinkles to the batter and on top of the cupcakes for the classic funfetti look and taste.
- Enjoy these cupcakes as a guilt-free treat that’s both delicious and nutritious!
Health Benefits Funfetti Cupcakes:
- Almond Flour: Almond flour is a great alternative to traditional wheat flour, as it’s gluten-free and lower in carbohydrates. It’s also a good source of healthy fats, protein, and fiber.
- Coconut Flour: Coconut flour is another gluten-free alternative to wheat flour. It’s high in fiber and low in carbohydrates, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and promote satiety.
- Arrowroot Starch: Arrowroot starch is a natural thickener that’s often used in gluten-free baking. It’s low in calories and carbohydrates and may help improve digestion.
- Applesauce: Unsweetened applesauce is a great replacement for oil or butter in baking. It’s low in calories and high in fiber, which can help you feel fuller for longer.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a healthy source of fat that’s high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). MCTs are easily digested and can be converted into ketones, which may help improve brain function.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is a natural sweetener that’s rich in antioxidants and minerals like zinc and manganese. It’s also lower in fructose than other sweeteners like honey or agave.
- Eggs: Eggs are a great source of protein and healthy fats. They’re also rich in vitamins and minerals like vitamin D, choline, and selenium.
- Sprinkles: While sprinkles may not have any significant health benefits, they’re a fun way to add some color and excitement to your treats!
Can I use regular all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat flour?
Yes, you can use all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat flour if you prefer. However, whole wheat flour is a healthier option because it contains more fiber and nutrients.
Can I use regular milk instead of almond milk?
Yes, you can use regular milk instead of almond milk if you prefer. However, almond milk is a healthier option because it is lower in calories and fat.
Can I use regular sugar instead of honey?
Yes, you can use regular sugar instead of honey if you prefer. However, honey is a healthier option because it contains more nutrients and antioxidants.
Can I use whole eggs instead of egg whites?
Yes, you can use whole eggs instead of egg whites if you prefer. However, using only egg whites will make the cupcakes lower in fat and cholesterol.
Can I use a different type of sprinkles?
Yes, you can use any type of sprinkles you like. However, using rainbow sprinkles will give the cupcakes the classic funfetti look.
Can I make these cupcakes ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these cupcakes ahead of time and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze these cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze these cupcakes for up to 3 months. Just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in an airtight container before freezing.
Can I add frosting to these cupcakes?
Yes, you can add frosting to these cupcakes if you like. However, using a healthier frosting option like Greek yogurt with honey and vanilla extract is recommended
Can I make mini cupcakes instead of regular-sized cupcakes?
Yes, you can make mini cupcakes instead of regular-sized cupcakes. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.
Can I make these cupcakes gluten-free?
Yes, you can make these cupcakes gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend instead of whole wheat flour.
In conclusion, these healthy funfetti cupcakes are the perfect combination of delicious and nutritious. With ingredients like almond flour, coconut flour, and unsweet