Last updated on April 18th, 2023 at 09:23 am
If you want a fun twist on classic French toast, try making French toast muffins! These muffins are the perfect combination of fluffy bread, sweet cinnamon, and a hint of maple syrup. They’re also easy to make and perfect for breakfast or brunch.
French Toast Muffins
- Muffin tin
- Mixing bowls
- Whisk or fork
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife and cutting board
- Cooking spray or butter for greasing the muffin tin
- Oven for baking
- Cooling rack (Optional)
- Powdered sugar shaker (Optional)
- 8 slices of bread, preferably slightly stale
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(180°C). Grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or butter.
- Cut the bread into small cubes, about 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) in size. Place the cubes in a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and toss gently to coat each cube. Let the mixture sit for 5minutes to allow the bread to absorb the liquid.
- Divide the bread mixture evenly among the muffin cups. Drizzle melted butter over the top of each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and set.
- Let the muffins cool for a few minutes before removing them from the muffin tin.
- Dust the tops of the muffins with powdered sugar before serving.
- Bread: Use slightly stale bread for best results as it will absorb the egg mixture better.
- Milk: You can use any type of milk, including non-dairy milk, depending on your preference.
- Spices: Feel free to experiment with different spices like nutmeg or pumpkin spice to change the flavor profile.
- Toppings: French Toast Muffins can be served plain, but toppings like fresh fruit, whipped cream, or maple syrup can add extra flavor and sweetness.
- Muffin tin: Make sure to grease the muffin tin well to prevent the muffins from sticking.
- Serving: Serve the muffins warm for best results.
- Make ahead: You can prepare the egg and milk mixture the night before and refrigerate it overnight, allowing for a quick and easy breakfast in the morning.
- Freezing: You can freeze the muffins for up to three months. Allow them to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
- Quantity: This recipe will make around 8 muffins, depending on the size of your muffin tin and how much bread you use.
- Nutritional information: The calorie count for one serving may vary depending on the specific ingredients and quantities used in the recipe.
Tips for Making French Toast Muffins:
- You can use any bread for this recipe, but we recommend using a user bread like brioche or challah.
- For added sweetness, sprinkle some brown sugar on the muffins before baking.
- These muffins can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Note: French toast muffins are relatively high in carbohydrates and sugar due to the maple syrup and bread.
Can I use any bread for this recipe?
You can use any bread you prefer, but slightly stale bread best absorbs the liquid mixture better.
Can I use almond milk instead of regular milk?
Yes, you can use almond milk or any other non-dairy milk alternative.
Can I use a muffin liner instead of greasing the muffin tin?
Yes, you can use a muffin liner to make removing the muffins from the tin easier.
How long can I leave the bread cubes in the egg mixture?
Letting the bread cubes sit in the egg mixture for 5-10 minutes allows them to absorb the liquid and ensures that the muffins are moist.
Can I add toppings to the muffins?
Yes, you can add toppings like fresh fruit, whipped cream, or maple syrup to the muffins before serving.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the mixture the night before and bake it in the morning for a quick and easy breakfast.
Can I freeze the muffins?
Yes, you can freeze the muffins for up to three months. Allow them to cool completely before placing them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Can I use a different spice instead of cinnamon?
Yes, you can use nutmeg or pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon for a different flavor.
Can I use a different type of sugar?
You can use brown sugar or honey instead of granulated sugar for a different sweetness.
Can I use a different type of dairy product instead of heavy cream?
Yes, you can use half-and-half, whole milk, or even sour cream instead of heavy cream.
Final Thought On Making These French toast muffins
French toast muffins are a fun and delicious twist on classic French toast that can be enjoyed anytime.
By following this simple recipe and tips, you can make fluffy and flavorful muffins that are sure to be crowd-pleasers.
So why not make french toast muffins for your next breakfast or brunch gathering?
Your taste buds will thank you!