Last updated on February 26th, 2023 at 08:46 am
Corn soup is a classic dish that is enjoyed by many all around the world. This delicious soup is made using fresh corn kernels, broth, and a variety of seasonings to create a comforting and hearty meal that can be enjoyed any time of the day. Whether you are a seasoned chef or a beginner in the kitchen, making a delicious corn soup is easy and fun.
- 1 Large pot or Dutch oven
- 1 Immersion blender or blender
- 1 Cutting board and knife
- 1 Wooden spoon or spatula
- 1 Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 Can opener
- 1 Ladle
- 4 cups 4 cups of fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh herbs, croutons, grated cheese, or bacon bits
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn kernels to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Heat the soup over medium heat until it's hot but not boiling.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, topped with chopped fresh herbs, croutons, grated cheese, or bacon bits if desired.
- Fresh or frozen corn can be used for this recipe. If using fresh corn, make sure to remove the kernels from the cob before adding them to the pot.
- The soup can be blended using an immersion blender or a regular blender. Be careful when blending hot liquids to avoid burns or splatters.
- For a vegan or vegetarian version, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omit the heavy cream. You can use a plant-based milk like coconut milk or almond milk as a substitute for cream.
- This recipe is very customizable, and you can add other vegetables or herbs like carrots, celery, thyme, or parsley to the soup to add more flavor and nutrition.
- Toppings like shredded cheese, croutons, bacon bits, or chopped herbs like chives or cilantro can be added to the soup to enhance the taste and texture.
- Leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. When reheating, add a splash of broth or milk to thin the soup if needed.
Corn soup is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients that are good for your health. Corn is a good source of dietary fiber, which is important for maintaining healthy digestion and preventing constipation. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and magnesium, all of which play important roles in maintaining good health.
Tips and Tricks
- Use fresh corn kernels instead of canned or frozen corn for best results.
- If you prefer a smoother soup, puree the soup in a blender or food processor before adding the milk and thyme.
- Experiment with different seasonings to find the flavor profile that you like best. Some good options include cumin, paprika, and chili powder.
- To make the soup creamier, substitute heavy cream for the milk.
- To add some protein to the soup, add cooked chicken or shrimp.
Can I use canned corn instead of fresh or frozen corn?
You can use canned corn if fresh or frozen corn is unavailable. Just make sure to drain the canned corn before adding it to the pot
Can I use milk instead of heavy cream?
You can use milk instead of heavy cream, but the soup will be less creamy and rich.
Can I use vegetable oil instead of butter?
You can use vegetable oil instead of butter, but the soup may have a slightly different flavor.
Can I use water instead of chicken or vegetable broth?
Yes, you can use water instead of chicken or vegetable broth, but the soup may not be as flavorful.
Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
You can add other vegetables like diced carrots or celery to the soup to add flavor and nutrition.
Can I make this soup ahead of time and reheat it later?
Yes, you can make the soup ahead of time and reheat it later. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Let it cool completely, transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag, and store it in the freezer.
How can I make this soup spicier?
You can add a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes to the soup to make it spicier.
Can I use an electric blender instead of an immersion blender?
Yes, you can use an electric blender instead of an immersion blender, but be careful when blending hot liquids to avoid burns or splatters.
Can I omit the onion and garlic from the recipe?
Yes, you can omit the onion and garlic from the recipe, but the soup may be less flavorful.
Final thought On Making a Corn Soup
Corn soup is a delicious and nutritious dish that can be enjoyed any time of the day. With just a few simple ingredients and basic cooking skills, you can whip up a batch of this comforting soup that will satisfy your taste buds and nourish your body.
So why not give it a try today?