Last updated on April 18th, 2023 at 09:18 am
Corn mac and cheese is a delicious and comforting dish that combines two classic favorites: macaroni and cheese and sweet corn. This creamy and cheesy dish is perfect for a family dinner or potluck and easy to customize to your taste preferences.
Corn Mac And Cheese
- Large pot for boiling the pasta
- Colander for draining the pasta
- Large saucepan for making the cheese sauce
- Whisk for stirring the sauce
- Measuring cups and spoons for measuring ingredients
- Baking dish (9×13 inch) for baking the mac and cheese
- Oven for baking the mac andcheese
- Slow cooker if you prefer to make it that way (Optional)
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for 1-2minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 5-7 minutes, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese to the sauce and stir until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the thawed corn and cooked macaroni until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9x13inch baking dish and smooth the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
- Feel free to use any type of pasta you prefer, but keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the type of pasta used.
- To make the dish spicier, you can increase the amount of cayenne pepper or add other spicy ingredients like diced jalapenos or red pepper flakes.
- For a richer and creamier sauce, you can use heavy cream or half-and-half instead of milk.
- If you prefer a crispy topping, you can add breadcrumbs or crushed crackers to the top of the mac and cheese before baking.
- To make the recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta and all-purpose gluten-free flour instead of regular flour.
- You can add other ingredients to the recipe, such as cooked bacon, diced ham, or chopped bell peppers, to give it more flavor and texture.
- To make the recipe vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and leave out any meat-based ingredients.
- To make the recipe ahead of time, assemble the mac and cheese and refrigerate it until ready to bake. When ready to bake, cover with foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated through.
- Be sure to let the mac and cheese cool for a few minutes before serving, as the cheese sauce will be very hot straight out of the oven.
- For added crunch and texture, sprinkle breadcrumbs or crushed crackers on top of the mac and cheese before baking.
- Add chopped jalapenos or red pepper flakes to the cheese sauce if you prefer a spicier dish.
- Add other vegetables, such as diced tomatoes or spinach, to the mac and cheese for extra nutrition and flavor.
Corn mac and cheese is a rich and indulgent dish with calories, fat, and carbohydrates. However, it is also a good source of protein and calcium from cheese and milk. To make this dish a bit healthier, you can use low-fat milk and cheese and add more vegetables to the recipe.
Can I use a different type of pasta instead of elbow macaroni?
Yes, you can use any pasta you like for this recipe. However, keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the type of pasta you use.
Can I use canned corn instead of frozen corn?
Yes, you can use canned corn instead of frozen corn. Just drain and rinse the corn before adding it to the recipe.
Can I use a different type of cheese instead of cheddar cheese?
Yes, you can use any cheese you like for this recipe. However, remember that different cheeses may melt and behave differently when baked.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe and reheat it in the oven when ready to serve it. Just be sure to cover the dish with foil before reheating to prevent the top from burning.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze this recipe. Let it cool completely before wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. To reheat, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake it in the oven until heated.
Can I add other ingredients to this recipe?
You can add other ingredients to this recipe, such as diced ham, cooked bacon, or chopped bell peppers. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time as needed.
Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
You can make this recipe vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and leaving out any meat-based ingredients.
Can I use skim milk instead of whole milk?
Yes, you can use skim milk instead of whole milk, but remember that the sauce may be thinner and less creamy as a result.
Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this recipe in a slow cooker. Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1-2 hours.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
You can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta and all-purpose gluten-free flour instead of regular flour.
Final Thought On Making Corn Mac And Cheese
Corn mac and cheese is a delicious and satisfying dish for a cozy family dinner or potluck.
Following this easy mac and cheese recipe for corn, as well as the tips, please go ahead and make your own creamy and cheesy mac and cheese dish with a sweet and savory twist.
So why not try making corn mac and cheese for your next meal? Your taste buds will thank you!