Last updated on April 30th, 2023 at 03:53 pm
Cinnamon sugar pretzels are a delicious and easy-to-make treat that are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
Whether you’re enjoying them as a snack or serving them as a dessert, these pretzels will surely be a hit with everyone.
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rolling Pin
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper or cooking spray
- Large pot for boiling water
- Slotted spoon for removing pretzels from water
- Small bowl for mixing cinnamon sugar
- Pastry brush for buttering the pretzels before baking
- Oven for baking the pretzels
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425°F(220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- Cut the pizza dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long, thin rope, about 18 inches in length.
- To shape the pretzels, form each rope into a U-shape. Twist the ends together twice, then bring them down to the bottom of the U-shape and press them firmly to form the classic pretzel shape. Repeat with the remaining dough ropes.
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the baking soda and stir until dissolved.
- Gently drop each pretzel into the boiling water and let it cook for about 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place it onto the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush each pretzel with the melted butter, then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture generously over the top.
- Bake the pretzels in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pretzels to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Be sure to use pizza dough, not bread dough, for the pretzels.
- Make sure the water is boiling before adding the baking soda to the pot.
- Boil the pretzels in the water for only 30 seconds on each side, or they may become too chewy.
- For a more even bake, rotate the baking sheet halfway through the baking time.
- Allow the pretzels to cool for a few minutes before serving, as they can be quite hot when they first come out of the oven.
- You can adjust the amount of cinnamon sugar to your liking. Add more or less depending on your preference.
- The pretzels can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days, but they are best when eaten fresh out of the oven.
- Feel free to experiment with different toppings or dipping sauces to add more flavor and variety to the pretzels.
What Makes a Great Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel:
A great cinnamon sugar pretzel should have a crispy outside and a soft and chewy inside. The cinnamon sugar coating should be evenly distributed and not too overpowering. The pretzel should also have a slight saltiness that complements the sweetness of the cinnamon sugar.
Variations of Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels:
There are many variations of cinnamon sugar pretzels that you can try. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add a drizzle of caramel or chocolate sauce on top of the pretzels.
- Use a different spice, such as pumpkin spice or nutmeg, instead of cinnamon.
- Make mini pretzel bites instead of full-sized pretzels for a bite-sized treat.
Can I use store-bought pizza dough for this recipe?
Yes, you can use store-bought pizza dough for this recipe. Just make sure to follow the instructions on the package for bringing the dough to room temperature before rolling it out.
Do I need to use a special kind of flour for this recipe?
No, you can use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Can I make the pretzels in advance?
Yes, you can make the pretzels in advance and reheat them in the oven before serving.
Can I freeze the pretzels?
Yes, you can freeze the pretzels after they have been boiled and shaped, but before adding the cinnamon sugar mixture. To reheat, simply bake them in the oven until heated through, then add the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Can I use a different kind of sugar for this recipe?
Yes, you can use a different kind of sugar, such as brown sugar or coconut sugar, but it may change the flavor and texture slightly.
Can I use a different kind of spice for this recipe?
Yes, you can use a different kind of spice, such as nutmeg or cardamom, but it may change the flavor of the pretzels.
Can I add toppings to the pretzels?
Yes, you can add toppings like chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit before adding the cinnamon sugar mixture.
How do I know when the pretzels are done baking?
The pretzels should be golden brown and crispy when they are done baking. You can also check by tapping the bottom of a pretzel – it should sound hollow.
Can I make mini pretzels instead of full-sized ones?
Yes, you can make mini pretzels by cutting the dough into smaller pieces and shaping them into smaller pretzels. You will need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I use a different kind of dipping sauce for the pretzels?
Yes, you can use a different kind of dipping sauce, such as honey mustard or cheese sauce, if you prefer.
Final Thought On Making These Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
Cinnamon sugar pretzels are a delicious and easy-to-make treat that are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth. With their crispy outside, soft and chewy inside, and sweet cinnamon sugar coating, they will surely be a hit with everyone.
Whether you’re enjoying them as a snack or serving them as a dessert, cinnamon sugar pretzels are a delicious treat you won’t be able to resist.