Last updated on April 18th, 2023 at 06:56 am
Cajun chicken lasagna is a perfect choice if you’re looking for a hearty and flavorful meal. This dish is a delicious twist on traditional Lasagna, featuring spicy Cajun chicken and a creamy cheese sauce. It’s ideal for a family dinner or a cozy night with friends.
Cajun Chicken Lasagna
- Large pot for boiling water and cooking lasagna noodles
- Large skillet for cooking the chicken and sauce
- Wooden spoon for stirring the chicken and sauce
- Measuring cups and spoons for measuring ingredients
- 9×13 inch baking dish for assembling and baking the lasagna
- Aluminum foil for covering the baking dish during baking
- Sharp knife for cutting the lasagna into portions
- Cutting board for cutting the vegetables and parsley (Optional)
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 375°F(190°C).
- Cook the lasagna noodlesaccording to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and sauté the onion and green bell pepper until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the ground chicken to the skillet and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning over the chicken and stir to combine.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, spread a thin layer of the chicken and tomato sauce mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Place 4 cooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Spread another layer of the chicken and tomato sauce mixture over the lasagna noodles.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the grated Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
- Repeat steps 8-10, layering lasagna noodles, chicken and tomato sauce mixture, and cheese until you have used all of the ingredients.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
- Be sure to cook the lasagna noodles until they are al dente (firm to the bite) so they hold their shape and texture when baked.
- Adjust the amount of Cajun seasoning to your preference, adding more or less depending on how spicy you like your food.
- Feel free to add additional vegetables to the chicken and tomato sauce mixture, such as bell peppers or onions, to add more flavor and nutrition.
- If you prefer a creamier lasagna, you can add a layer of ricotta cheese between the chicken and tomato sauce and the noodles.
- Let the lasagna cool for a few minutes before serving to allow the cheese to set and the layers to firm up. This will make it easier to cut and serve.
- Leftover lasagna can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, cover with foil and bake in a 350°F oven until heated through.
Why Try this Cajun Chicken Lasagna
Cajun chicken lasagna is a delicious and satisfying dish that is easy to make and much leaner than your standard Lasagna made with minced meat.
High in Protein:
Chicken is an excellent source of protein, essential for building and repairing muscles and maintaining healthy skin, hair, and nails. A single serving of Cajun chicken lasagna can provide up to 35 grams of protein, depending on the portion size.
Whole Wheat Pasta Option:
Using whole wheat lasagna noodles instead of regular pasta can increase the fiber content of the dish, which can help promote healthy digestion and reduce the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Loaded with Vegetables:
Adding vegetables like bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes to the Cajun chicken lasagna can increase the dish’s nutritional value. Vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which can help boost the immune system and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
The cheese used in Cajun chicken lasagna provides a source of healthy fats, such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which can help improve cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Spices with Health Benefits:
The Cajun seasoning used in this recipe is a blend of herbs and spices that can provide some health benefits. For example, paprika contains antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation, while garlic and onion powder can help boost the immune system.
Note: Depending on how you make it, Cajun chicken lasagna can be high in calories and fat if not prepared with healthy ingredients, as suggested above. Also, getting your portion control correct could consume too many calories despite being a leaner option than the traditional Lasagna method.
However, with the right ingredients and moderation, this dish can be a nutritious and satisfying addition to a well-balanced diet.
Can I use other types of meat in place of ground chicken?
Yes, you can use ground beef, turkey, or even sausage.
Can I make this recipe in advance?
You can prepare the Lasagna until step 12, cover it with foil, and refrigerate until ready to bake. Then bake as directed, adding 10-15 minutes of baking time.
Can I freeze this recipe?
You can freeze the Lasagna before or after baking and wrap it tightly with plastic and aluminum foil before freezing. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking or reheating.
Can I omit the Cajun seasoning?
Yes, you can omit the Cajun seasoning or use a different seasoning blend of your choice.
Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned ones?
You can use fresh diced tomatoes instead of canned, but you may need to adjust the cooking time to account for the extra moisture.
Can I add vegetables to this recipe?
You can add vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, or spinach to the chicken and tomato sauce mixture to add flavor and nutrition.
Can I use other types of cheese?
Yes, you can use other types of cheese, like cheddar or Monterey Jack, instead of mozzarella cheese.
Can I use no-boil lasagna noodles?
Yes, you can use no-boil lasagna noodles, but you may need to adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe as they tend to absorb more moisture.
Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
You can use dairy-free cheese alternatives or omit the cheese altogether for a dairy-free option.
Can I add more spice to this recipe?
You can adjust the amount of Cajun seasoning to your preference or add other spicy ingredients like cayenne pepper or hot sauce.
Final Thought On Making this Cajun Chicken Lasagna
Cajun chicken lasagna is a delicious and satisfying meal for any occasion. It’s a great way to spice up traditional Lasagna and add extra flavor to your dinner table. With its combination of spicy chicken, creamy cheese sauce, and hearty lasagna noodles, it’s sure to become a family favorite in no time.