Last updated on April 24th, 2023 at 04:03 pm
Experience a Taste of the South with Cajun Chicken and Cheese Grits.
This classic dish combines spicy cajun chicken with creamy, cheesy grits for a satisfying meal that’s sure to please.
Cajun Chicken and Cheese Grits Recipe
- Meat thermometer
- Baking Dish
- Large skillet
- Medium saucepan with lid
- Wooden spoon for stirring
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl for seasoning the chicken
- Whisk for stirring the grits
Ingredients for Cajun Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Cheese Grits:
- 1 cup grits
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts in a large bowl and sprinkle the Cajun seasoning mix over them. Toss the chicken breasts until evenly coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook until browned on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the grits, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, and stir well. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and letsimmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the grits are soft and tender.
- Once the grits are cooked, stir in butter, cheddar cheese, and milk. Keep stirring until the cheese is melted and the grits are creamy.
- Serve the Cajun chicken with cheese grits on the side. Enjoy!
- Cajun seasoning can be quite spicy, so adjust the amount of seasoning to your taste.
- For a crispier texture, you can broil the chicken for the last few minutes of cooking.
- Be sure to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken to ensure it is fully cooked and safe to eat.
- If you prefer a smoother texture for the cheese grits, you can blend the mixture with an immersion blender or food processor.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of milk to maintain the creamy texture of the grits.
- This recipe can be easily adjusted to suit your dietary preferences, such as using a non-dairy cheese alternative or reducing the amount of butter and oil used.
- Serve with a side salad or some steamed vegetables for a balanced meal.
Tips for Making the Best Cajun Chicken and Cheese Grits:
- If you don’t have cajun seasoning, you can make your own by mixing paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and thyme.
- For added flavor, marinate the chicken in the cajun seasoning for a few hours before cooking.
- If you prefer a milder dish, you can reduce the amount of cajun seasoning or omit it altogether.
- If you like your grits extra cheesy, add more shredded cheese or a different type of cheese, such as pepper jack or gouda.
- Leftover cajun chicken and cheese grits can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Can I use bone-in chicken instead of boneless chicken?
Yes, you can use bone-in chicken for this recipe. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the chicken is fully cooked.
Can I use a different type of cheese instead of cheddar cheese for the grits?
Yes, you can use any cheese that you prefer. Some good options include pepper jack, Monterey Jack, or Colby cheese.
Can I make the grits ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the grits ahead of time and reheat them when ready to serve. Add a splash of milk to the nerves and stir well to reheat them.
How do I know when the chicken is fully cooked?
The chicken is fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. You can use a meat thermometer to check the temperature.
Can I use a store-bought Cajun seasoning mix?
Yes, you can use a store-bought Cajun seasoning mix if you prefer. Just adjust the amount of salt and pepper accordingly.
How do I prevent the cheese grits from becoming lumpy?
While cooking, stir the grits and gradually add the cheese, butter, and milk. This will help ensure that the spirits stay smooth and creamy.
Can I add more seasoning to the grits?
Yes, feel free to add more seasoning to the grits to taste. Some good options include hot sauce, paprika, or cayenne pepper.
How long do I need to cook the grits?
Cook the grits on low heat for 15-20 minutes or until soft and tender. Stir occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
You can make this recipe dairy-free by using a non-dairy cheese alternative and non-dairy milk.
Can I use instant grits instead of regular grits?
Yes, you can use instant grits instead of regular grits. Just follow the cooking instructions on the package and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Final Thought On Making this Cajun Chicken and Cheese Grits Recipe
Experience southern cuisine’s rich and delicious flavors with cajun chicken and cheese grits. This classic dish is easy to make and impresses your taste buds.
Try this recipe and enjoy the warm and comforting flavors of the South.