Last updated on June 9th, 2023 at 12:09 am
Learn how to make a butternut squash quinoa salad. This delicious and healthy salad is perfect for those who are looking for a hearty, yet nutritious meal that is easy to make and packed with flavor.
Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth·
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced·
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped·
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley·
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro·
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint·
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds·
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- For the dressing:·
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar·
- 1tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water in a fine mesh strainer, then place it in a medium-sized pot with 2 cups of water or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F(200°C). Arrange the diced butternut squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until the squash is tender and golden brown. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, roasted butternut squash, diced red bell pepper, chopped red onion, chopped parsley, chopped cilantro, and chopped mint. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the toasted pumpkinseeds and crumbled feta cheese (if using) over the top of the salad. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best flavor and texture.
- Be sure to wash and dry the butternut squash and herbs thoroughly before use.
- To make the recipe vegan, omit the feta cheese or replace it with a vegan cheese alternative.
- You can prepare the quinoa and roasted butternut squash in advance to save time.
- Customize the recipe by adding your favorite vegetables or proteins.
- Adjust the amount of dressing used to your liking, and start with half the amount and add more as needed.
- The salad can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- If you’re making this recipe for a larger group, you can easily double or triple the recipe.
- Don’t forget to garnish with pumpkin seeds and fresh herbs for a beautiful and flavorful presentation!
This butternut squash quinoa salad is not only delicious, but it is also very nutritious. Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all of the essential amino acids our body needs. Butternut squash is high in fiber, vitamin C, and potassium. Chickpeas are a great source of protein and fiber, and the dried cranberries add a touch of sweetness to the salad.
We are confident that this ultimate butternut squash quinoa salad recipe will become a staple in your meal rotation. Not only is it easy to make, but it is also a crowd-pleaser. Whether you are looking for a healthy lunch or a side dish for your dinner, this salad is perfect.
If you want to take this salad to the next level, you can also add some grilled chicken or shrimp to it. The possibilities are endless, and we encourage you to experiment and make it your own.
Can I use a different type of squash instead of butternut squash?
Yes, you can use other types of squash such as acorn squash, delicata squash or kabocha squash. However, the roasting time and texture may differ slightly.
Can I make the salad in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the quinoa, roast the squash and make the dressing in advance. However, wait until just before serving to mix everything together and add the fresh herbs, pumpkin seeds, and feta cheese.
Can I substitute the quinoa with another grain?
Yes, you can substitute the quinoa with other grains such as brown rice, farro or barley. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary.
Can I skip the feta cheese or replace it with something else?
Yes, you can skip the feta cheese or replace it with another type of cheese such as goat cheese or shredded Parmesan cheese. Or, leave it out altogether to keep the recipe vegan.
How can I make the salad more filling?
To make the salad more filling, you can add some protein such as cooked chicken, shrimp, or chickpeas. Or, serve it with a side of crusty bread or crackers.
Can I add other vegetables to the salad?
Yes, you can add other vegetables such as roasted sweet potatoes, roasted beets or sautéed kale.
Can I adjust the amount of dressing used?
Yes, you can adjust the amount of dressing used to your liking. Start with half of the dressing and add more as needed.
How long will the salad keep in the refrigerator?
The salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can I serve the salad warm?
Yes, you can serve the salad warm or at room temperature.
Can I make the salad gluten-free?
Yes, you can make the salad gluten-free by using gluten-free quinoa and checking that all other ingredients used are also gluten-free.
Final Thought On Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad
we believe that our ultimate butternut squash quinoa salad recipe is the best one out there. It is packed with flavor, easy to make, and nutritious. We hope you give it a try and let us know what you think.
Thank you for choosing our company for all of your recipe needs. We look forward to sharing more delicious recipes with you in the future.