Last updated on April 24th, 2023 at 03:51 pm
Black bean burgers are a great option if you’re looking for a healthier alternative to traditional beef burgers. Not only are they packed with protein and fiber, but they’re also incredibly flavorful and easy to make at home.
Black Bean Burgers
- Mixing bowl
- Fork or potato masher
- Knife and cutting board
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Food processor (Optional)
- Measuring cups and spoons (Optional)
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp of chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the black beans with a fork or potato masher until they're mostly broken down.
- Add the rolled oats, chopped red onion, chopped red bell pepper, minced garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the mixing bowl.
- Use your hands or a spoon to mix everything together until it's well-combined.
- Form the mixture into 6-8 patties of equal size, using your hands to shape them.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, place the patties in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until they're browned and crispy.
- Transfer the patties to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven for 10-12minutes, until they're cooked through.
- Serve the black bean burgers on buns with your favorite toppings, such as avocado, tomato, lettuce, and sriracha mayo.
- Drain and rinse the canned black beans before using them in the recipe.
- Thoroughly mash the black beans to ensure the patties hold together well.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes before forming the patties to help them hold their shape.
- Use a non-stick skillet or lightly grease the skillet with cooking spray to prevent the patties from sticking.
- Be gentle when flipping the patties to avoid them falling apart.
- Customize the recipe to your liking by experimenting with different spices and toppings.
- Leftover patties can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- You can also double the recipe and freeze the patties for quick and easy meals later on.
Tips for Making the Best Black Bean Burgers:
- Be sure to drain and rinse the black beans before using them to remove excess salt and improve the texture of the burgers.
- For flavor and texture, you can add other ingredients to the burger mixture, such as corn, jalapeños, or grated cheese.
- If you’re having trouble keeping the burgers together, refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes before forming into patties.
- Leftover black bean burgers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Can I use dried black beans instead of canned ones?
Yes, you can. Soak the dried beans overnight and cook them until tender before using them in the recipe.
Can I use breadcrumbs instead of rolled oats?
Yes, you can. Use the same amount of breadcrumbs you would in terms of rolled oats.
Can I use a food processor to mix the ingredients?
Yes, you can. Pulse the ingredients in a food processor until they’re well combined.
Can I freeze the black bean patties?
Yes, you can. Freeze the uncooked patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for an hour, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag.
Can I cook the patties in the oven instead of the skillet?
Yes, you can. Preheat the oven to 375°F and bake the patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 20-25 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
Can I use different spices to season the burgers?
Yes, you can. Feel free to experiment with your favorite spices and seasonings.
Can I use a different type of bean?
Yes, you can. You can use any bean you like, such as chickpeas or kidney beans.
Can I make the patties ahead of time?
Yes, you can. Keep the uncooked patties in the fridge for up to 2 days before cooking.
Can I cook the patties on the grill?
Yes, you can. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and cook the patties on each side for 3-4 minutes.
How can I prevent the patties from falling apart?
Make sure to thoroughly mash the black beans and mix all the ingredients until they’re well combined. You can also chill the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes before forming the patties.
Final Thought On Making These Black Bean Burgers
These homemade black bean burgers are a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional beef burgers.
They’re easy to make and flavorful, making them an excellent option for a quick and satisfying meal.
Try this recipe and enjoy the tasty goodness of homemade black bean burgers.