When it comes to grilling, burgers are always a favorite. But if you’re looking for a way to take your burger game to the next level, why not try making some delicious BBQ chicken burgers? These burgers are juicy, flavorful, and perfect for any summer cookout. In this article, we’ll share our favorite recipe for BBQ chicken burgers, along with some tips on how to grill them to perfection.
BBQ Chicken Burgers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce, plus more for topping
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked until crispy
- Sliced tomatoes and lettuce, for topping (optional)
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, BBQ sauce, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and shape each into a patty.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place a slice of cheddar cheese on each patty to melt.
- Toast the hamburger buns on the grill for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a little bit of BBQ sauce on the bottom bun, then place the cooked patty with melted cheese on top.
- Add a slice of crispy bacon on top of the patty and, if desired, some sliced tomatoes and lettuce.
- Finish with another dollop of BBQ sauce and the top bun.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your delicious BBQ chicken burgers!
- Ground chicken: Use ground chicken that has a relatively high fat content (around 85%) for the best flavor and juiciness.
- Breadcrumbs: The breadcrumbs help to bind the mixture together and make the burgers more tender. Use plain breadcrumbs, or panko breadcrumbs, or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- BBQ sauce: This recipe can use any store-bought or homemade BBQ sauce. Adjust the amount of BBQ sauce used to suit your taste preferences.
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese is a classic option for this recipe, but you can also use any type of cheese that melts well, such as mozzarella or pepper jack.
- Bacon: Cook the bacon until it’s crispy, then drain it on paper towels to remove excess grease.
- Grill: Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grates to prevent the burgers from sticking.
- Internal temperature: Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the burgers has reached 165°F to ensure safe consumption.
- Resting time: Let the burgers rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the juices to redistribute and keep the burgers moist.
- Customization: You can customize the recipe by adding different seasonings, using different toppings or sauces, or serving the burgers with different sides.
- Storage: Leftover burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips for Grilling BBQ Chicken Burgers:
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that your burgers are fully cooked. Ground chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Don’t over-handle the burger mixture. The more you mix and shape the patties, the tougher they’ll become. Mix everything just until combined, then shape the patties gently.
- Let the burgers rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making the burgers more juicy and flavorful.
Can I use ground turkey instead of ground chicken for this recipe?
Yes, ground turkey can be used as a substitute for ground chicken in this recipe.
Do I need to add breadcrumbs to the ground chicken mixture?
Yes, breadcrumbs help to bind the mixture together and make the burgers more tender.
Can I use a store-bought BBQ sauce for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any BBQ sauce of your choice for this recipe.
Can I make the patties ahead of time and refrigerate them until ready to grill?
Yes, you can make the patties ahead of time and refrigerate them for up to a day before grilling.
Can I cook the burgers on a stovetop instead of a grill?
Yes, you can cook the burgers on a stovetop using a non-stick skillet or a cast-iron pan.
How do I know when the burgers are fully cooked?
Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the burgers has reached 165°F.
Can I freeze the burgers for later use?
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked patties for up to 3 months.
Can I use a different type of cheese instead of cheddar cheese?
Yes, you can use any type of cheese that you prefer, such as mozzarella or pepper jack.
Can I skip the bacon in this recipe?
Yes, you can skip the bacon if you prefer a vegetarian option or don’t like bacon.
What sides go well with BBQ chicken burgers?
Some good sides that go well with BBQ chicken burgers include coleslaw, potato salad, grilled vegetables, or corn on the cob.
Final Thought On Making these BBQ chicken burgers
If you’re a fan of burgers and BBQ, these BBQ chicken burgers are a must-try. They’re easy to make, flavorful, and perfect for any summer cookout. Serve them with classic sides like coleslaw and potato salad, and you have a meal sure to please everyone.
So fire up the grill, and get ready to enjoy some delicious BBQ chicken burgers!