How is everyone’s New Years Resolutions going? Still holding strong?
As if my last post with ‘healthy’ Coconut Cookies wasn’t enough, lets take another break for one more sweet treat. Since I don’t really do ‘diets’, rather, I strive to live a well balanced lifestyle. So I often try to incorporate ‘small’ ways to improve my healthy lifestyle. Among the typical ‘eat more fruits and veggies’, adding more superfoods is at the top of my list.
Chia seeds came in the spotlight last year and have been a pantry favorite of mine for quite some time. They are nutritional power houses with their large doses of fiber, antioxidants, protein and omega-3 fatty acids. They can be added to nearly anything for some crunch.
This week I took it up a notch and added chia seeds to make a delicious snack (or dessert if you wish). I feel like pudding is a love or hate relationship. Well, thankfully I am on the love it side. Let’s go back a few years (ok, more than a few…) to grade school lunches. Opening every lunch slowly to unveil my snacks and all their glory. One I would hope for every day, was Oreo Pudding Snacks. You remember the ones with the chocolate and vanilla layers? Oh yes. Love. Love. Love. Well lately, I try to limit the amount of processed foods I consume, so I experimented in the kitchen to create my own snack packs.
Chia seeds can be eaten raw, similar to chopped nuts on top of a salad. Then if you add them to liquid, they gel up and absorbing some of the liquid. The possibilities are endless of liquids you can add them too! I started off simple with adding them to almond milk, cocoa powder, Greek yogurt for an added protein boost (which can be left out for dairy free) and stevia for sweetness. Not only are these tasty snacks and desserts, they make delicious, make ahead breakfasts.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- Vanilla Creme Stevia, to taste (Or sweetener of choice)
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 1½ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- In a blender, combine milk, cocoa powder, Greek yogurt and stevia. Transfer mixture to a container. Stir in chia seeds. Cover and let refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours. Stir again before serving.
- Once ready to serve, divide pudding into 4 small bowls. Layer with sliced strawberries and chopped pistachios. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips if desired!