Tender tilapia filets with a sweet and spicy crust of macadamia nuts, coconut and lime!
What a glorious thing that it feels like a Tuesday but in reality it’s really Wednesday. Which means it is one day closer to the weekend. And that means I only have 2.5 more work days left. Yup, only 2.5.
I am lucky enough that my company sets summer hours. How nice of them! Summer hours means that as long as you work your 40 hours by noon on Friday, you are able to run free and not check back in until the next week.
Last year, those summer hours meant that you would find me poolside, reading my latest book and possibly a cocktail in my hand. Depending on the week…
This year I hope to have a few of those days but truth be told, I will be trying to squeeze in at least one photo shoot or running around town trying to finish last minute details for my wedding. (Speaking of…holy cow that puppy is coming up fast!)
But you know what I will be enjoying all summer long? Macadamia and Coconut Crusted Tilapia. Every time I make them, my foot starts tappin and I start to sing “put the lime in the coconut…” Any one else? Please don’t tell my I’m the only one!
The tropical flavors are so bright and just whisk you away to your favorite island with the sun kissing your skin and your toes in the sand.
Macadamia nuts are one of my favorite nuts for their creamy and butteriness. Minus the insane price. I refuse to buy them that often as I will inhale without thinking twice. The coconut crisps up and provides some major crunch to go along with the macadamia nuts. Then I add in some chile powder for some pow because I like to live life on the edge. But, the lime is the real star here though. The zest takes this dish to the next level with its brightness and citrusiness notes.
I love to pair the tilapia with my Red Pepper and Lime Quinoa for a real flavor punched meal; and not to mention a veggie, nutrient dense and gluten free meal. Triple win!
I got the idea for this dish as I was
scarfing down enjoying one of my 49202 batches of coconut shrimp tacos and I was imagining what other ways I can incorporate my favorite flavors into as many foods as possible. You know, I don’t want to look obsessed with any particular recipe. The others may get jealous….
So, let’s all agree to enjoy summer afternoons and eat as much macadamia nut and limes as possible.
- 4 - 4 oz tilapia filets
- ¼ cup flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts, finely crushed
- ½ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- Zest of 1 lime
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Serve with Red Pepper and Lime Quinoa Salad
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray.
- Add flour into a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, add egg and whisk well.
- Combine nuts, coconut, lime zest, chili powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Mix well.
- Dry tilapia off really well.
- To dredge filets, first add to flour mixture, tap off excess; then dip into egg, tap off excess then finally into the nut mixture and make sure to coat well. Lay onto baking sheet evenly spaced. Repeat with remaining filets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until flakey and coconut is browned.
Craving more seafood?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #HOUSEWIFEINTRAININGFILES. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!