I can’t believe this is my first beef recipe. What can I say…I’m a chicken eatin’ gal.
When I was little, I could pass on just about any cheese-smothered burger and go without a juicy steak. Chicken was the star in our house and my mother always said “Little girl, you have one more chicken nugget, you are going to turn into one!” The one statement I remember from her that I am glad did not come true.
So let’s start this Monday off with a big ol’ bowl of shredded asian beef. Tender beef that is fall off the bone delicious thanks to the slow cooker. Jazzed up with soy sauce, honey, garlic, and a touch of ginger, this beef is a simple as it gets. Practically cooks itself. Now that is a win-win!
You could serve the asian beef over basmati rice, coconut rice or to spice things up, you can make some figure friendly and colorful cauliflower fried rice. With summer and a wedding approaching, I am finding more ways to incorporate more veggies into my diet. Cauliflower is riced, then sauteed with garlic to crisp up, then red peppers, mushrooms and broccoli are next into the pan to lightly char. The cauliflower is added back to the pan and tossed with rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
There is something magical with making a successful Chinese dish at home. It can be rather difficult to get the perfect balance of sweet and saltiness in the sauce, to cook fall off the bone-meat and to finish it off with a fluffy bed of rice or cauliflower rice but when it all comes together, you will hardly be able to put your fork (or chopsticks) down!
- 2 pounds boneless sirloin roast, trimmed of the fat
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 16 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 3 small heads broccoli florets, cut small
- 1 medium white onion, sliced thin
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Pinch ground ginger
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Garnish, Sliced Green Onions & Sesame Seeds
- In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, minced garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add roast to slow cooker and sauce mixture. Turn roast over to ensure roast is completely covered with the sauce. Turn on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove from crock pot, shred and add back to pot to absorb the liquid. Serve with rice.
- While roast is cooking, grate or shred cauliflower. Add shredded cauliflower to a cheese cloth (or towel) and wring out. The drier the rice, the better it will be!
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, heat 1 Tbsp oil. Add garlic and cauliflower. Saute for about 5 minutes or until cauliflower is slightly crisped. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and add red peppers, mushrooms, white onion, and green onions. Saute for 5 - 10 minutes or until veggies are soft and slightly charred.
- Add cauliflower rice back to pan and stir. Add soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Add rice to bowl and top with beef, green onions and sesame seeds.