A sandwich that is full of flavor! Farmers Market Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Skinny Pesto is loaded with fresh vegetables creamy provolone and layered with a healthy pesto sauce!
Latest addition of what Megan is craving…
And by craving, I mean I want it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am acting as if I have never seen the concept of roasted vegetables and cheese smothered with fresh pesto and smushed between two hearty pieces of whole grain bread.
Genius concept, amiright?!
But this whole concept not only has my taste buds roaring, but also Mr. HIT! Hey, at least the baby isn’t hankering for Fritos and milkshakes…
But let’s talk about how easy and customizable this sandwich is. Let’s start with the base first. A whole grain, seeded loaf. While the nutty and whole wheat flavor adds another layer of dimension, feel free to use any sturdy bread loaf you love! Ciabatta would be killer too. Toast, grill or put the whole sandwich into a panini machine if you love that melty goodness. Our preferred route!
Then the goods. The roasted vegetables! I love walking up and down the aisles of the farmers market during the summer days. Getting to talk with each farmer; I feel like I know a bit more of the story of the food that will be coming home from me. A small piece to the puzzle but I love creating those connections! Today I used mushrooms, roasted red peppers and green beans. But I usually swap the green beans for asparagus. Switch ‘em up! Do what you feel!
Then, the two toppers that take this sandwich over the top. The easy, only 5-ingredient pesto! Yup, that is right. Only 5 ingredients and is skinny as I use Parmesan cheese and a bit of olive oil with water to bind it all together. No calorie bomb here! I doubled the batch and have been slathering it on nearly everything. From cheesy bread with our pasta dinner to mixing it into my avocado toast for lunch. Then, to finish off the sandwich and bind it all together, Sargento Provolone Natural Cheese Slices.
There are few food brands that I truly love and hunt out to ensure I bring home the best for my family. Sargento is among those brands. With their 100% real, natural cheeses, I know I am feeding my family and my body a nutritious snack rather than mystery ingredients.
These sandwiches have already moved themselves onto our staple family dinners. With things setting down around here, we are finally getting our family ‘grove’ back and that means family dinners! Something we cherish and are anxious to carry on with our little one coming this fall!
So with a nutritious sandwich such as this, I’m thinking we need to double the cheese.
Double down please!
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 8 green bean stocks or asparagus stocks
- 4 slices Sargento Provolone Cheese
- 1 cup packed basil
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Sandwich: Preheat a pan to medium heat.
- Slice the mushroom caps and red pepper into thin slices. Trim the green beans or asparagus. Spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add to preheated pan and grill until lightly charred, 3 - 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Basil: Meanwhile prepare the pesto. In a food processor add the basil, garlic, parmesan cheese and puree until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil. Season with pepper, if needed.
- Toast the whole grain bread. Spread with the basil. Top one slice of bread with the roasted vegetables and provolone cheese. Top with other slice of bread and serve immediately.
Craving more fresh recipes?
Compensation for this post was provided by Sargento Foods via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Sargento Foods or AOL.